Guest Riders in the Sky

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
Some months back a UK rider posted on the Singletrack World website that he was planning a MTB trip to the US. I told him to let me know when he was coming out' if he got here on a day when I was riding, he was welcome to go on the ride. This weekend he showed up with his mate Chris for the promised guided ride.

The Brits got lost, and by the time they showed up in Fairfax it was nearly noon on a pleasant Sunday. Nobody waits around on a beautiful day, so it seemed that everyone else had already gone on a ride. The only other rider I could find to accompany us was Joe Breeze. and the two of us waited at the customary meeting place, the table outside the Java Hut. When "Leon" rode up, he recognized us from seeing Rob Penn's BBC programme a few weeks ago. A few hours later he would be having the same experience as Rob Penn, with a little extra.

Joe and I took Leon and his friend Chris on an extended singletrack ride in Tamarancho, then made them ride up hills somewhat higher than they see at home, finishing the day with a run down Repack that will give them something to talk to their friends about. I let them buy me a locally brewed beer afterward at the Iron Springs Brewery, then they were off in their hired RV for a run at Downieville, followed by the Flume Trail at Lake Tahoe, then Mammoth Mountain. These guys are checking off the "top ten" trails in California according to some MTB magazine they read!

Here's Joe's pic looking back up the Repack trail.

Attachments

• CK_Leon_Repack.jpg
    CK_Leon_Repack.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 1,568
Nice weather for it. Look very modern rides. What were the bikes?

I bet Leon was gutted to find everyone else had already set off and that he would only have Charlie Kelly and Joe Breeze for company for a ride down Repack.

I wish I had bad days like that ! :LOL:

tintin40":1co14jhg said:
Nice weather for it. Look very modern rides. What were the bikes?

Everyone was riding modern gear. The two Brits on a pair of Hecklers (w/ flat pedals), Joe on a prototype Breezer HT 29er, me on the Rumblefish.

We only get out the costumes and the klunkerz when the image demands it.

Nice video. I've been thinking I need to get out to the US at some point, My sister is engaged to a Californian and virtually lives out there, perhaps I should time a trip over around the OWMTBC.

Back