General Question about suntour

Sorry, not explaining myself clearly - When I ended up working in the same shop said bike came from I too used to see parents trying to buy their sons bikes that were way too big.

I'd have to try and explain to them that you're supposed to be able to stand over the cross bar without doing yourself an injury, not sit on the saddle with your feet 6" from the ground !

Made me laugh every time.

from what i know suntour invented indexed shifting, but didnt have the resources or finance to develop it, & when their patent expired in 83'ish, shimano took the rein & pushed it further. (i think maybe with the 1st. gen. dearhead XT groupo'??)

i do know, that when shimano launched STI in 1990, they had 250+ people working on R&D, suntour had 20..thats why X-Press was a bit crappy i guess. they were a far smaller company, with a dude at the top, who tried to control everything without listening to much what was really going on.

along with index shifting (im sure this is correct-bite me if im wrong!) they also invented microdrive. that was 92'ish, & by then they were at the end of their game really due to a lack of finance (being bought out i think) & resources.

shame really because XC PRO rocked! (& i liked X-Press).

the other company that lost out was campy, who left index shifting in their stuff till way late..

Back