paulb's 2010 handjob !

Paulb

Dirt Disciple
hi folks, thought id share some pics of my latest hack.

thought id go with the new pace 104 frame but after getting a couple of faulty ones sent to me from chain reaction ( seems they had a bad batch, weld overspill into the seat tube ) i changed my mind and went with the cove. i think it was for the best anyway as the cove is more suited to my riding.
the ride of this bike reminds me of my mates kona explosive which he still has from the early 90's.
i'm not 100% happy with the build, i will change the the crossride wheels for some hope/mavic 117's as the crossrides imo feel dead in comparison. also the brakes from shimano deore to some hayes stroker ace's.
heres the pics.

bensbirthday019.jpg

bensbirthday010.jpg

bensbirthday012.jpg

bensbirthday016.jpg

bensbirthday015.jpg

here's the spec-
cove handjob frame- tange prestige tubing
fox f100rlc forks
shimano XT-
crank
11-32 cassette
mechs
shifters
pedals
deore brakes
thompson seatpost/stem
easton ea70 bars
selle italia flite kit carbinio saddle
mavic crossride wheels
fsa orbit extreme pro headset

hope you like it, i do !

Nice looking bike...., would suggest spending some cash on a carbon seat post and a more arse welcoming saddle, I have a ritchey Carbon seatpost and a Fizic Gobi saddle on my hardtail and between them I get about 10mm of travel, which of course equals more comfort. That carbon saddle will make you feel like you have spent a drunken night with Graham Norton in no time.

ps: I have some Deore brakes on my Kona and they are immense, far better than my Hope Mono Mini Pro "pile of bob" on my Ragley

thanks mark.

had the saddle for a little while now, done a couple of 50k plus rides on it and its not as bad as it looks. its got the shock absorber system on the rail/shell interface. also it moulds itself to your arse, so after a couple of rides its fine. first few miles did make me wonder if i had wasted my money though.

do you go out drinking with graham norton often ? :LOL:

Lenni":28gu20mc said:
very fine bike,great colour! what size is it? 19,5" ?

thanks fingers, thanks lenny, yes the seat tube is 19.5 but the top tube is welded to the top tube about 3 inches down from the top, it feels more like a slightly longish 18.

just got back from my local woods where there is loads of really technical singletrack and its just awesome throwing it around. the back end is so much more controlable than an alu hardtail, instead of skipping around it sort of glides more over fist size boulder tracks.

dont think i'll ever go back to alu unless its full suss !

Paulb":24xp6qwj said:
Lenni":24xp6qwj said:
very fine bike,great colour! what size is it? 19,5" ?

thanks fingers, thanks lenny, yes the seat tube is 19.5 but the top tube is welded to the top tube about 3 inches down from the top, it feels more like a slightly longish 18.

just got back from my local woods where there is loads of really technical singletrack and its just awesome throwing it around. the back end is so much more controlable than an alu hardtail, instead of skipping around it sort of glides more over fist size boulder tracks.

dont think i'll ever go back to alu unless its full suss !

I agree, steel hardtails are the real singletrack weapon. I had an orange 5 SE and it just bored me sh!tless, Ok you go a bit slower on a hardtail but you feel like you have been on a ride, and have far ,ore "stories" to tell.

Back