General Question about suntour

computerbitz

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Back in the day it was suntour shimano and campagnolo over the last few years sram come in,

My question is suntour used to be an ok groupset back in the day but these days it seems to be the choice of budget makers of bulk bikes correct me if i am wrong or is this the case

dont know a hell of a lot about sram

My favorite groupset for me was the deore dx range loved it smooth and never had any problems with it

again advice would be nice on this and thanks in advance

mentally, you need to disconnect suntour stuff thats around now from the suntour stuff of back then. the stuff back then, was, by all accounts, ace. the stuff now is tat.

what i remember is Suntour was the lightest, Shimano was the best shifting and Campy was the best finished. Don't forget Mavic had a nice group set too BITD

tbh thats my general perception of it i see it on appolo's and similar cheap or cheaper bikes and that doesnt sit well with me but its all about opinions and ther might someone who thinks otherwise, i am just trying to catch up on 10-11 years of missed biking history

my first mtb (a Muddy Fox Courier that was about 4" too big because my parents wanted it to last!!!) had Suntour. It was ok, functioned consistently and lasted well.

However, Shimano is the best ! I'll never forget the day I was able change gear in the air between 2 jumps using their STI shifters and SPDs. There kit pure class!

Take it you another lardy like me then (no offence) i used to know and do loads but one thing and another and life not being predictable i stopped biking and have recently rediscovered it, it is my new holy grail and no bloody rabbits going to stop me getting it :p

jonboy":opyalox4 said:
my first mtb (a Muddy Fox Courier that was about 4" too big because my parents wanted it to last!!!) had Suntour. It was ok, functioned consistently and lasted well.

However, Shimano is the best ! I'll never forget the day I was able change gear in the air between 2 jumps using their STI shifters and SPDs. There kit pure class!

:shock: so what you saying is your mum was one of them that said "he'll grow into it" :LOL:

Yup, that's exactly what happened - dad wanted make sure value for money was going to be achieved!

Ironically the right size for me is about a 19" (depending on the top tube length), that Muddy Fox was a 21". Must be 18 years ago now, and I still wouldn't have grown into it yet. lol

I used to have to almost argue with parents in the bike shop sometimes to stop the same thing happening!

:LOL: embaressing that my parents did it to me once and never agin as i made a show of them, being the good boy i was was grounded for a week but was worth it never to be embaressed like that again :p

Back