Titanium - magnetic ?

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
I recently bought a NOS boxed Nervar titanium axled BB in 118mm with sealed bearings, but older style Octagonal end cups.

The whole lot weighs approx. 235g.

The box says on it 'Axe en Titane'

What surprises me, it that a magnet sticks hard (strongly) to the axle - I thought titanium wasn't magnetic ?

It isn't - is it??

Not unless there's some ferrous material in there somewhere.

Does it feel lighter than an equivalent steel axle, it should do?

mavesyn":23cfg89u said:
Yes it's paramagnetic.......But doesn't retain it's magnetism like steel....

What he says, it's paramagnetic...
BUT for all intents and purposes with respect to sticking a magnet on it etc.. then No it is not.
You would need I assume MRI style equipment and possibly metal detectors (airports) for you to notice.

You would probably find that out by using google on Titanium. Most likely there is a wikipedia or similar on it.
As for the Alloys of it, which you would certainly have then that's different but again for this case then no it is not.

P.S. I would think that if it was Titanium then it would be sub 200g. As BB-UN90 (XTR/DuraAce)from the early 90's and my FSA Ultimax Cro-Mo weigh about 235g

Looks as if I've been 'stung'.

Buying a 'titanium' axled BB that turns out to be steel, is an expensive steel-axle BB. :( :( :(

Perhaps it is a titanium colour BB ?

I have a Royce titanium BB and it weighs 235grams with cups and bearings. I also have a Zeus titanium and this is 210grams complete. The Zeus has steel rings on the axle where the races go to stop wear. This makes it appear magnetic but it's not. The titanium doesn't seem to be magnetic at all.

Back