powder coat or not ?

There's powder coating using enamel paint in dry form and stove enamelling, a spray paint ( applied wet using paint mixed with solvent ) that's baked in an oven. You were offered the second one. Expensive but you can get masking and tartier effects.
A powder coating is cooked at 200°C and as it uses an electrostatic charge to apply the paint it's free of ozone-harming solvents.

i once got a frame blasted and powdered for a tenner. it was black though, and not the best job in the world.

Agency_Scum":1k9osucj said:
There's powder coating using enamel paint in dry form and stove enamelling, a spray paint ( applied wet using paint mixed with solvent ) that's baked in an oven. You were offered the second one. Expensive but you can get masking and tartier effects.
A powder coating is cooked at 200°C and as it uses an electrostatic charge to apply the paint it's free of ozone-harming solvents.

I have had the stove enamelling done before and as i say looked the muts, whats the durability difference like between the two then

I've never had problems with powder coating, it's a very hard finish. Stove enamelling on the other hand has had mixed results both with me personally and others ( who've used top-of-the-line pro painters ). In my honest opinion I think wet jobs are too soft and delicate. Nothing that can't be cured with some helicopter tape though so keep your options open.

IMO go for the best paint job. For a quality peace of kit they deserve the best finish :D

magicmistertea":9932ocvq said:
okay lets here your opinions.... i need to get my klein mc1 bars/stem and my pace rc30s sprayed, im going to get them done black so should i get them powder coated or should i just get my mate to do them with normal car paint ? what are the pros and cons ? umm yea as you can see i dont know alot about paint so would appreciate some input,
cheers mmt

Can I assume the RC30's turned up then ? Hope they're ok?

Powder coat every time - it's basically a layer of plastic over the metal. They statically charge the metal, coat it in a very fine plastic powder and then put them in an oven (i guess at 150 degrees or so) and it melts the powder particles together to give a smooth and super durable finish. It's very resistant to stone chips. Colours can be sprayed on top of the powder coat if needs be (like the Roberts White Spider).

Powder coating is cheap and tough , gives a nice plasticky finish and I haven't chipped my kona yet, really pleased with the results.
Cost £40 blasted and coated. The paint guy did say though that a good spray job would be tougher so it comes down to personal preference.
This was my result.

Nice, i probably going to go with that then by the looks of it just gotta find a local place that does C&G enamels of liverpool was the 2 quotes for £80-90 so need somewhere else can be Liverpool, Chester or Rhyl for me as i can get to them all at any point

I can give you the number of the place I used in Preston if you like.
He was really helpful and they have a colour chart on their website.
£40 was good value I thought. It's easy to find just off the M6.
I went from Warrington and took about 25mins to get to.
Alternatively search your area on Yel.com for one.
I am taking my Cro-Mega back there for coating once I get the seized bottom bracket out.

Back