Breezer Twister (The Funky 16.5" Flavor)

Mr. Zero

Senior Retro Guru
I've had my eye out for this beast for quite some time. The swoopy top tube of the 16.5" is a significant variation in design from the straight top tube of the 18.5" and 20.5" versions. Fortunately, I had the TL5 on hand for just this occasion (or a Bow Ti ;) ).

Frame: 1998 Breezer Twister 16.5"

Fork: Interloc TL5

Headset: Syncros Hardcore
Stem: Specialized S-Works M2 135mm*
Handlebar: Specialized S-Works Thermoplastic 21"*
Grips: Yeti Speed Grips
Barends: Bovine Stubs*

Brakes: Avid 1D (If you've got more info on these let me know.)
Brake Pads: Koolstop
Brake Cables: Avid Straight Jackets
Cantilever cable hangers: NA
Brake Levers: Real X-Levers

Shifters: Shimano STX 8spd
Front Derailleur: Sachs Centura D.I.R.T.
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Plasma
Derailleur Cables: Avid Straight Jackets
Cassette: Shimano XT 8spd
Chain: Shimano IG 70
Cranks: Topline 175mm*
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Syncros
Chainring bolts: Generic Alloy
Bottom Bracket: Syncros Titanium 122mm*
Pedals: Bontrager RE-1

Hub Skewers: Generic Titanium bolt / Alloy nuts
Rims: Mavic X517 32h
Hubs: Hugi 240
Nipples: DT Swiss Alloy
Spokes: DT Swiss DB
Tyres: Hutchinson Python New Generation Air Light K F/R
Tubes: Blackburn 1.25-1.5 presta

Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
Seatpost: Syncros Hardcore 330
Seatpost Binder: Generic Alloy collar with steel bolt

Weight: 24.9lbs.*

* = Upgrade since original post.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Now there's something you don't see every day :D

Really nice FS bike... didn't even know Joe Breeze made this kind of bike (except for that 1992/1993 AllSop model). I like the design very much, first thing that came to mind was "Aha, so this is where Gary Klein got his FS idea from"... or is it just me who sees a resemblance there? (or maybe Breeze got this idea from Klein??).

Dammit, now I'm all confused and the day has just begun :shock: :twisted:

here's a photo of the one with the straight top tube for comparison.

Attachments

• Breezer full suspension.jpg
    Breezer full suspension.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 3,929
Lovely build Mr Zero - love it! Interesting selection of great working components too - I always like seeing a bike that isn't just NOS XTR-M900 everything :roll:

Nice. Is that based on the old Schwinn design? The 16" looks way better than that 18" aswell :cool:

Wow that looks great. The shwoop goes really well with the Breezer
grafics at the front. I also like to see bikes with compontent mixes.
Is this Castellano (Ibis) technology?

You're right on, Lid. The frame uses the Sweet Spot pivot design patented by John Castellano. Ibis and Schwinn also used the Sweet Spot. I'm not sure that the pivot location is right on the Klein for it to be a Sweet Spot, but it's certainly pretty close.

The Interloc TL5 suspension fork is another John Castellano design and from conception was intended to complement the Sweet Spot. Among other things the anti-dive nature of the fork will counteract the tendency for the rear end of the Sweet Spot to "lift" under hard braking if under inflated.

FYI, for any Schwinn owner's out there, I spoke with John Castellano Wednesday at Interbike and he informed me that he has contracted the manufacture of replacement pivots for the Schwinn Sweet Spot bikes, since they are no longer supported by Schwinn. So, you can now bring your beleaguered Schwinn back to life. John can be contacted through his website, http://www.castellanodesigns.com. And, of course, he has replacement suspension bits for Ibis bikes as well.

Back