Mavic SSC Rear Mech

Simmo72

Retro Newbie
Hi all

I have a mint condition Mavic SSC rear mech which I have dug out of my garage but its missing 1 vital part.

I seem to recall there being a separate ring that controls the position and tension. It sat between the mech and the frame and without it I don't think it will work.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about, sorry not pics
If so is there is a way of getting around not having this part or do you know where I can get a replacement.

I would really like to use this rear mech again, I rate it as the best designed and precise rear mech I ever used, even when compared against some indexed models of the same era.

Mavic derailleur - spare part

I know the bit you mean - I have one at home off a Mavic 840 (index)derailleur sat in my odds & ends box. Can dig it out over the weekend if interested and post it off in a few days.

David

Yeah, you definitely need it. As it's separate from the mech, more often not it gets lost.

I doubt you could get a replacement, not in the sense of someone who has a regular supply of it. You could try making one using a washer of the same thickness, larger than the part but with the same diameter hole. Cut into the required shape, then bend the prongs up.

As a bodge you could just fit some washers between the hanger and mech. This will keep it at the correct angle, but you will need to loosen the hanger bolt every time you take the wheel out.

Hi Dave
thanks for the offer. If it looks like this then yes that would be fantastic if you could part with it.

Attachments

• ssc washer.jpg
    ssc washer.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 2,053
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Also, sorry to disappoint but the bit on the indexed 840 mech that does a similar job is very different in design so wouldn't be a good substitute after all.

David

No problem David, though thank you for looking. I'll continue to keep an eye out or see if I can trawl B&Q and come up with some DIY solution. It could always sell for parts but I really want to use it again.

Latest posts

Back