powder coat or not ?

magicmistertea

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
okay lets here your opinions.... i need to get my klein mc1 bars/stem and my pace rc30s sprayed, im going to get them done black so should i get them powder coated or should i just get my mate to do them with normal car paint ? what are the pros and cons ? umm yea as you can see i dont know alot about paint so would appreciate some input,
cheers mmt

I'm not sure how powder coating is applied but I can vouch for it's toughness! The stuff is bulletproof! Ideal for mountainbikes unless you are truly anal about weight!

I remember reading a probably throw away remark in one of the mags ages ago that mentioned the weight issue. As the review was more than likely about a Saracen (which were all powder coated for a fair few years), heavy paint would be the least of weight worries. I suspect the coating is thicker than cellulose. One point; is heat used to create the finish? How much are we talking about? Hopefully someone will know. As an afterthought, I have one of those early Saracens that has had a hard life and the paint still looks pretty good.

powder much better than paint unless its a garage queen that,s not going to be ridden alot
on the other hand my klein is powder coated and it will get ridden alot.
thwang

kleinp.jpg

Best read this ( the powder coating firm is called ABC Enamelling ). Ask any powder coating firm though and the cost should be £20-£30. They'll also strip and mask whatever you want included in the cost. The finish is bullet proof ( second bike I've had done there ) and is about the same weight as spray enamel ( also called a " wet job " in the trade ) but is much hardier.

tip: whatever colour you have it sprayed note down it's RAL code number for touch ups in the future.

Ask away if you've any other questions.

melting temp for the powder paint is about 400 - 450 degrees

slight difference in thickness is debatable as with paint it takes several coats plus lacquer , powder is just one coat of high gloss

Agency_Scum":i76gw045 said:
Best read this ( the powder coating firm is called ABC Enamelling ). Ask any powder coating firm though and the cost should be £20-£30. They'll also strip and mask whatever you want included in the cost. The finish is bullet proof ( second bike I've had done there ) and is about the same weight as spray enamel ( also called a " wet job " in the trade ) but is much hardier.

tip: whatever colour you have it sprayed note down it's RAL code number for touch ups in the future.

Ask away if you've any other questions.

Early morning and all that like but is what you are saying is that it cost you £30 to get that Bob Jackson done i got quoted enamel frame forks £79.56, Metalic frame and Forks £87.97 from a place in liverpool

Back