87' Muddyfox Courier Restoration - Finished!

paininthe":3qrb870g said:
If you take the frame to spray shop supplies type place, they will have a micrscope type thing that tells you the exact ral number.
Is that spectrometer or something? Good to know thanks for that. I will try that if I do next retro french/Japanese randonneur touring bike project.

Anyhow, here is the frame back from Armourtex.

main.php

main.php
main.php

main.php

main.php

The colour is RAL9003 with metallic flake clear coating. In the end, I found out that the slight yellow tint on the frame was due to clear lacquer yellowing due to its age - there were some sections on the frame where clear were loose so I peeled off and found the base colour is absolute white with no tint.

Looks brilliant.....!!! Hoping mine turns out as well.

Interesting about the laquer - mine too has a slight yellow tint. Will investiagte further.

They're both 1987 Couriers. The one with the jam jar label decals is the usual one. The other one you've resprayed is exactly the same but has 1988 decals instead. A few did toward the end of the 87 run.

86 ones were near the same as well, but had non indexed suntours and risers.

I Remember thinking when the 87 ones came in, cor riser bars, how old fashioned. lol. Spin forward ten years....

Love these bikes. My first mountain bike. Good to see them gaining popularity once more.

Agreed Wu-Tangled.

Mine is an 86 - see link in my sig. It originally had riser bars, which, like yourself I found terribly old fashioned and a bit naff 20 years ago, so I put some flat bars on. I think they may still be in my Dad's garage unless he has but them in the tip!

Also, yes, no index system on the 86.

Another difference between 86 and 87/88 is the hubs. Later models have the black line with Muddy Fox in yellow around the flange. Mine are devoid of any such markings. Also, mine is devoid of that lovely little MF paw print at the top of the seat stays seen on later models.

jameshurrell":l0da7h9y said:
Also, mine is devoid of that lovely little MF paw print at the top of the seat stays seen on later models.

ah, I have recently flogged an 87 and an 86 and i think the 86 DID have the Paw print. Odd.

86's had slightly different sugino chainsets and suntour mechs too, but ever so slightly different.

Mine was also ruined by me when i decided to paint it like a 1988 Cinder Cone. And not know when to stop flicking humbrol paint at it.

:oops:

Love the subtle differences between years and models...

I originally had Suntour XC Sport on it. I still have the XC Sport front mech, but the rear is long gone...

that's right. XC Sport. 87 was XC5000. 88 was....can't remember. Explorer was XCD6000 in 88 anyway.

Bike nerdism at it's almost best.

Job done :)

IRC open side tyre is a good match in my opinion. The amber part is a bit wider than original Panaracer Ibex but its ok to me. The Muddy Fox and Courier stickers are made by Gil, thanks!
main.php

The brake outer wire are non original Clark in the same silver colour. Clark is mesh rather than spiral but the original Dia Compe ones are a bit too expensive with premium price. The brakes are hybrid of original 983 body with 981 parts and springs sourced from Canada. Shoes are non original. Saddle is Selle Italia Rolls - the original one in new condition is hard to come by hence the compromise but similar finish. Pillar is original with hair line finish by my hand and sand paper :LOL: The original seat binder is quick release type but the owner prefers conventional seat pin for practical reason.
main.php
main.php

Crank is original Sugino. There are some scratches so I decided to polish it up. The cap was missing and unjustifiably expensive so, again, compromise. The pedal is VP bmx pedal which is similar to the original one. Front mech is original. I really wanted to fit gold finished chain by Suntour or Shimano UG that turned out to be very difficult to find. I went with rather modern Shimano IG chain. It supposed to be not working with 6 speed but according to Sheldon there is no problem, and in fact it works very well with 6 speed index system.
main.php

Rims are a bit of headache as there are some pitting. Once I polished them out but couldn't remove the pitting as I wanted. I tried to paint in Aluminium paint and tried with scrap rim but the colour never match up! Tried to source the ones in better condition but this Araya octopus rims are dear in the US and coldn't afford them. In the end decided to finish with scotch brite hair/scratch line finish but turned out very nice. The nipples are DT alloys and the spokes are DT #14.
main.php

The two stickers on the rim are home made on adhesive vinyl sheet. Scan or trace the existing ones in Photoshop then printed with colour laser printer and finished with clear urethan lacquer. I have made Tange sticker with this method and looking pretty good.
main.php

Our original Sanshin rear hub is damaged beyond repair and I couldn't find the same one at reasonable cost. I have found this large hub is actually made by Suzue for either fixed gear bike or BMX. Removed the original sticker from our hub with hair dryer and stick it on nicely. Shame with the extra thread on the left side but better than other alternatives in my opinion.
main.php

It was indeed rewarding to do this project and I really enjoyed it. I would appreciate if you guys could let me know what you think about it?

::EDIT:: Hub description

That looks absolutely gorgeous! Well done. You've gone to a lot of trouble to keep it all looking original. I like your home made stickers, I may have to copy you as I have wanted 'the pink one' for sometime now. Where did you get the headset from, is it new? I'm not all that happy with the satin finish on my new headset on my explorer- I want a chrome one like yours. Good stuff. Oh who did the paint/powder coat?

Back