1995 ( I think) Marin IFTrail New Project / Noob questions

Update,

All parts have now been clean, polished and rust removed.
739 gear shifters have been added( Thanks Charlie)
New grips (lizardskins+ lock) have been added.
Replacement headset top has been added. (Chris King)
will post piccies soon.

To polish alloy.

Blue Magic metal polish with red label Charmin toilet paper.

Nothing beats it. Nothing. The professional choice.

Forks.

Right chaps I am now in a position to be looking at sus forks for this IFT, I'be been told that it should have between 60-80mm travel(as to not feck the geo up) and I have measured the steerer length on my rigid forks which is 190mm.

What 2nd hand forks should I be looking at that are a reasonable price and have half decent performance for a big lad. Have seen those RC36 Pace ones and I must admit I do like those alot.

Also RAFBikes any news on those chainrings for the bike?

Thanks all,

Lee

Lee

I had Pace MXCD's on back in the day - see photo below!

MarinIFTRPS94-991.jpg

Very Strong fork with twin bridge arrangement... thought the geometry was fine on mine...[/img]

Not being biased because I am selling some (seriously :LOL: ) but the best 60-80 mm fork you can get in my opinion are Marzocchi Z2s. Easy to service, parts readily available and best of all pretty much maintenance free. Oh, and they work which is better than most old forks.

Get some pics up of the progress of the polishing!

update

Right well the bike should be up and running after this weekend coming, I will try and post some pic's later.

All the gearing has now been done along with the brakes just waiting for the chainrings to turn up and hopefully if the weather is good I will give it another polish.

Last thing to do is to get the dec's for it then it's pretty much finished.

* I still have a hankering to get this powder coated in white* I know I will get slated for this but I think it would look the bollox, haven't decided yet.

:)

Nope, no powder coating but I am still thinking of it :)

She's fine now, I have some photo's I'll post, She's used as my get to and from work bike nice 30miles round trip, although I'll still chunky bugger.

There's a couple of perople I need to thank in getting her road worthy, they are RAFBIKES / JUSTBACKDATED and especially CHARLIEBOY28 whom without his infinate patience and liberal access to bits in his shed it wouldn't have been possible.

As for the bike, the frame is ok still needs a professional to have a go as after 2 months of hand wirebrushing polishing I'd had enough :)

Most of the bits that were on it when received still are but new/added bits include 739 brakeset/gearset, new middleburn chainrings and a couple of better nick mavic wheels and some conti hybrid tyres.

Still got the orginal forks but I have put some PACE RC36 on her for day to day.

I think since she became roadworthy she has had around 2.5-3000 miles done on her and apart from punctures and a collapsed rear wheel (don't ask) haven't had to do much.

I think I really want the frame professional polishing and laquering with DEC's but unfortunately money is to tight for that at the moment. OI would also love another Richey seat(still got the original that came with her in 95) as for some reason I can't handle new seats or I just haven't found a good/comfy one yet.

One of the pluses doing her up is I now know more about fixing,maintaing a bike than I ever did when I was younger. If anyone has any questions about th eprocess please feel free to ask.

Here's a quick photo will post more in the future.

[/img]

Back