Tubs and Tub Covers

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
While I was building up my Dave Russell I did something I've not done for many a year - fit some new tubs to rims. The wheels are a pair of Record LF 28's on GP4's and deserved something good so I selected a pair of Vittoria Special Pro 220gm tubs from my stash in the loft and fitted them using Jantex tape. It was all a lot easier than I remembered BITD using Dunlop cement (which got EVERYWHERE!) and I quite enjoyed doing it. As the tubs are quite light I remembered I had some period Wheel Covers somewhere and found them at the back of a cupboard in the garage. Unfortunately they are not a matching pair (where the others are I've no idea!) but they do compliment the bike nicely.

I think they are made by Beekay who did all sorts of cycling related items such as race numbers, warning signs, flags etc.

They also both need new elastic and hooks - but that's another story which hopefully Mrs Ned will be able to sort out in due course.

Any one else have any with different shop names etc.?

Attachments

• HoldsworthWheelCovers.1.jpg
    HoldsworthWheelCovers.1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 2,120
You still have a bunch of bananas helmet somewhere as well, don't you?? :p

I've always wanted to have spare sets of wheels, and thus the requirement of wheel covers...........says "I'm doing this proper, like".
Best I've had to settle for is glove spots and a mid thigh tan line........ :oops:

Lysander":36vt5znb said:
You still have a bunch of bananas helmet somewhere as well, don't you?? :p

No, I don't - unfortunately ;)

But I've got a Campagnolo racing cap :D

Yes, OK, I will, thanks!

And a Campag pump clip and a pair of bars ;)

See you Sunday?

Old Ned":34op6r3n said:
While I was building up my Dave Russell I did something I've not done for many a year - fit some new tubs to rims. The wheels are a pair of Record LF 28's on GP4's and deserved something good so I selected a pair of Vittoria Special Pro 220gm tubs from my stash in the loft and fitted them using Jantex tape. It was all a lot easier than I remembered BITD using Dunlop cement (which got EVERYWHERE!) and I quite enjoyed doing it.

Hi Ned

Dave at UCC used the tape on my rims when building up my Lemond. I recalled a story to him of Malcolm Elliott and his tub coming off from the tub tape in spectular fashion leaving Malcolm sitting on the floor when he had victory in his grasp of a city centre race in the late 80's. Apparantly Malcolm was non too impressed with his mechanic and had a few choice words to say!!

Just looked up Holdsworth, Beckenham and Penge since I live in Beckenham. Wow, looks like quite a history but all gone now. I saw Alec Bird Cycles mentioned in there as well, a bike shop I remember as a kid that must be long gone now.

Lemond Fan":t5renp69 said:
Old Ned":t5renp69 said:
While I was building up my Dave Russell I did something I've not done for many a year - fit some new tubs to rims. The wheels are a pair of Record LF 28's on GP4's and deserved something good so I selected a pair of Vittoria Special Pro 220gm tubs from my stash in the loft and fitted them using Jantex tape. It was all a lot easier than I remembered BITD using Dunlop cement (which got EVERYWHERE!) and I quite enjoyed doing it.

Hi Ned

Dave at UCC used the tape on my rims when building up my Lemond. I recalled a story to him of Malcolm Elliott and his tub coming off from the tub tape in spectular fashion leaving Malcolm sitting on the floor when he had victory in his grasp of a city centre race in the late 80's. Apparantly Malcolm was non too impressed with his mechanic and had a few choice words to say!!

Yeh, OK for time trialling but I wouldn't like to trust it for road racing - especially town centre crits. Lot of side pressure on the tyre in them!

I wonder what the 'choice words' were? Drat, dash, bother, oh dear me??

Back