1998 Sunn Notion

Reluctant

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Fresh off the bay last night - sold by Retrobike member Dilly, thanks fella.
Ok - it needs a lot of TLC, possibly a bit more than I bargained for, but E-bays a terrible thing! I got in from work and logged in -90 seconds to go - quick bid -Ooops! I've won it!
But it's in good hands, I'm a Sunnfan to the core and happy to spend the time and trouble to make it well again. Here's some "before" pics, and I'll post updates if folks are interested.
Notion001.jpg

Notion002.jpg

Notion003.jpg

Notion004.jpg

Notion005.jpg

Nice, the stem and bars combo are a bit ugly, needs decent tyres too.

The rust may be a bit harder to deal with, is the frame chrome or nickel plated ?, would'nt know the best thing to do as i've only had bare alloy or painted frames, if the bike is just a rider one option maybe to steel wool the worst of it off and give the frame a coat of car wax, not a rust cure but at least that will slow it down.

Had a Sunn Xcircuit last year, was a lovely thing but swapped it for a San Andreas frame, road very nice, very Kona like (sorry if thats an insult to Sunn owners), wish i'd kept it longer and used it properly.

The finish is chrome, it's responded pretty well to some wire wool, none of it was too deep.
Fugly stem gone, non functioning Obsys fork gone, brakes which kinda work ok now and a left hand crank to match the length of the drive side. Oh, and a better match front tyre. Starting to look and feel like a real bike.
The size is a medium 45 cm, not a large as listed on ebay.
I'll ride it to and from work for a while and continue to fine tune it before moving it on to a permanant home.
Excuse the unfinished headset arrangement in the new pics - ain't got no spacers!
Notion2010.jpg

Notion2011.jpg

Notion2012.jpg

Nice - I do like Sunns :cool:

For the rust.......a moist, crumpled up piece of aluminium foil rubbed on it does wonders. My dad used to restore old MGs, and he swore by it for getting rust off chrome without scratching it up too bad.

Looking good, I love the chrome finish and stickers on '98 Sunns, and it seems quite rare to get them all intact like this. Nice lot of original finishing kit too :cool:

Latest posts

Back