1993 Caloi Andes Sport Build **Updated pics**

MattyZaskar

Retro Guru
Having just purchased this from stewlewis...

Caloi2.jpg

the plan is to keep in keeping with 1993 so the parts will be either DX, LX or XT from that era. My first point of call is what colour to do the frame/forks in......

Caloi.jpg

I really like this one but looking for other idea's, did think white ??? Any other idea's ?

Secondly does anybody do decals on here ?

The plan will be to find bargain parts(if they exist lol), im in no rush, more of a winter project to get my teeth into.

Now for the daft questions...........
What do i measure to find out the headset/fork size as id like to put some front suspension on it ??

I have some M095 Deore XT shifters and levers (thanks again stewlewis) can these be used with V's or just canti's ??

Any help with advice etc would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Loved these BITD, thought they looked 'well 'ard', a bit like the infamous British Eagle Boss DX.

Good luck.

Cheers Pickle, any info on them ? Im lead to believe they were made in south america and the frames were built to the same spec whether you bought a low spec bike or a high spec bike

remember mbuk giving one away as a competition bitd,wished so so hard i had won but never did,dreams eh........ ;)

Hey mates!

That's a brazilian made Caloi. Series 6 Alcan Aluminium Tubing!

There lots of those 'round here so it's relatively easy to find the decals in any LBS! A friend of mine owns a ride very similar to yours, original with 200GS rear e front mechs!

Good to see a bike made in my homeland BTW. :LOL:

Well, the Caloi Aluminium Series were a breed of bikes that ranged from low middle to top end rides.

From bottom to top:

Andes Express
Andes Sport 10
Andes Expert
Andes Pro 20
Andes Pro 10
Andes Elite
Andes Comp LX
Andes Comp XT
Andes Team

The low middle bikes had Cr-Mo forks, and the middle top bikes came with RS Quadra or Mag.
The Top End ones had italian Olria or Gippiemme dropouts.

I guess your's is really a 1993 model, that was the year the company started a series of marketing actions that culminated in the World Championship victory with Lance Armstrong (in a re-badged Merckx/Litespeed). Right after that Caloi started exporting frames and complete bikes to the american and european markets, so it's quite possible your bike was made in that era!

Caloi was BITD the greatest brazilian bike manufacturer, and one of the country's oldest company: it was founded in 1898. In the last ten or so years things changed and they focused their efforts in crappy low-middle bikes! Sad!

Sorry 'bout the poor english!
Cheers

Back