Raleigh M-Trax 1000 Cr-mo (unknown year)

irbabboon

Dirt Disciple
Hello all...

Firstly, not sure if this is in the right place - I have no idea of the date of this bike... in fact it'd be nice to know. Looks mid-late 90s to me.

Anyone got resources on late 90s Raleighs? You know, the un-cool ones? I've looked around in the various relevant places here & at Sheldon's but there's nowt on this bike. or frame number.

I love the look & feel of it but am still deciding if I can get away with the size, it's about 1" too small in both directions. The full Alivio groupset is really nice!

For reference, if it's at all helpful, frame number is 3616743. It's also got another number underneath the cable guide, which I haven't disassembled to read just yet.

Spec list:

Frame: M-Trax 1000 Cro-mo, Reynolds 501/K2
Fork: Same. Not suspension-corrected.
Headset: Aheadset, 1.1/8
Stem: M-Trax branded...
Handlebar: As above...
Grips: Ergo ring
Barends: Heavy plain gauge steel things
Brakes: Shimano Alivio
Brake Pads: Erm, the original ones
Brake Levers: Shimano Alivio
Shifters: Shimano Alivio (7spd)
Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio (3spd)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio (7spd)
Derailleur Cables: Cables...
Cassette: Shimano Alivio
Chain: Shimano IG-something
Cranks: Shimano Alivio
Crank Bolts: 2!
Chainrings: Shimano Alivio
Chainring bolts: Pressed-in
Bottom Bracket: Square taper, I assume
Pedals: Some modern SPDs

Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Hmm, good question. Vanilla unbranded I think.
Hubs: Shimano Alivio
Nipples: Loads.
Spokes: Loads.
Tyres: Maxxis Viper & Cobra
Tubes: Pair of.

Saddle: Modern GT I had lying about
Seatpost: Silver, branded, can't remember. Heavy.
Seatpost Binder: Q/R, don't think it's original.

Weight: Not sure. Not too heavy, considering it's solidly low-mid range.

...some pix in the next post, because I've not got ability to post links yet!!

Had to give it a full service, but it looks like it's not covered many miles at all from new. It's just not been looked after particularly well & has got many of those "moved it around the shed" scrapes. Not bad for 80 notes :)

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/stoatymcmongoose/M-Trax 1000 crmo/

IMG_1662.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg
[/img]

Yeah a very nice frame. Replace with better parts if and when the alivio breaks, it is a lovely frame.

I do like the old Alivio set actually, would be happy to ride it without an upgrade. Maybe a set of slightly lighter wheels and a short travel fork. Will have to get a layback seatpost, to make it properly rideable! Been on a couple of small sides and it's a bit... well, short. Can't see how I'll find another, longer, stem in the same colours.

Nobody got an idea of the model year? There's not much online about 1994-present. The "bargain bin" years, as it were.

Spec is correct and I think the rims should be either Rigida or Alesa. There should be some markings on them.

If it were me, I'd keep it as it is. Nice bike. :)

Those frames are a good solid base worthy of hanging some half decent components on.

Treat it to some nice Deore LX ;)

bikemeister2000":emo0fwqh said:
I don't want to spoil the party, but K2 tubing was a Raleigh specific tubset and would rank below 501.
Ah, well it says 501 on the bars, and K2 on the frameset. To be honest I don't really care eitherway - it feels really pleasant to ride. It's like the antithesis of all those BSOs I was given back in the day.

That said, I'm already looking out for a bigger, more bling dyna-tech brother. There's a space in my shed and everything.

Latest posts

Back