Peaks Ride 2010 (formerly 'Mr K's Peaks Ride') - Aftermath

far from it,she was errrrrrrrrrr,lush and very well racked ;)

food was better at the pub this year,however reserving a table was needed to get all together :?

A very good day with the nice peolpe from Retrobike !

Well i woke expecting grey , dull skies and rain ....but no, glorious sunshine had decided to make an appearance! Mr K's ride (with brief encounters from the main man) was an absolute hoot and I loved every minute of it! My memories from the day are:

Great climbs
Spectacular views
Meeting new people and seeing the regulars (Nice to see gravymonster who had a long trip up north then back to london)
Top bikes out on the trails (loved the pink furquay)
Demon downhill sections
Guy on the Bonty Ti has an off right in front of me. (I bet he's sore today,hope you're ok mate)
The Guvnor shows us all how to climb the rocky sections
Mr Ships shortest trackstand
DSP couldn't shake off the monkey off

Just want to say a special thanks to our two leaders Mark and Paul, cheers guys , brilliant day!

A few pic's from me:
mk1.jpg

mk2.jpg

mk3.jpg

mk4.jpg

mk5.jpg

mk6.jpg

mk7.jpg

A retro train
mk8.jpg

mk9.jpg

Two friday night drunks at the back!
mk17.jpg

Retro carnage
mk12.jpg

Guvnor sets a high standard that us mortals couldn't match
mk16.jpg

mk15.jpg

mk14.jpg

mk13.jpg

mk10.jpg

See you there next year ;)

Looks like I missed a good day. I was planning to go right up to that bit where I woke up not feeling too good, now it looks like I've got laryngitis but fingers crossed I might get a day off work for it!

Great ride. Lots of new faces and lacking in some of the usual suspects. This did make it a little quieter than the previous years i'd been too, but still good banter. Nearly wiped out Sinnett at the bottom of the descent, couldn't really stop and ended up having to bail out, leaving me turtled on my back, head down the slope making it hard to get back up :LOL:
Gutted at my performance on the hill climb, it was a pathetic attempt on my behalf :roll: Rode much better on the 2nd climb and was grateful not to 'win' the monkey :LOL:
Then i had one of my more bizarre crashes. After taking photos, i was near the back, approching the riders on the right i decided to go down the left... Heading across the track i was sturggling to avoid the fence, i managed to avoid the fence, but went straight over the bars. A real slow motion moment, all i could think was this was going to be a collar bone. Bizarrely i've got ligament damage in my foot and thats it :?
I was tired by the end and had an early start today so disappeared quite quickly - apologies.
The two bikes that stood out for me, were the Fat Chance and the Dekerf, both very nice :cool: :cool:

i woke up with crippled legs this morning, then an hour later was on my way to kielder forest, bike was unwashed, left after the peaks ride in the car and after 30 miles of forest tracks over 7hrs im officially done in!

ps: sorry i went home instead of the pub, a 5hr 300mile round trip meant i still didnt get back until after 8pm.....hope people didnt mind me bringing the jones either, i felt a little out of place at times, there were some awesome bikes there :cool:

Thanks to the organisers, it was a great ride. The cafe blonde was good but not as awe inspiring as 'Daisy Duke' down in the Forest of Dean. The bruise has come out nicely on my leg. Thanks to whoever it was who managed not to ride over my remains when I fell off! It did slow me up but I still enjoyed the rest of the ride.
Bike of the ride for me was the Specialized Rockhopper Comp.

Just got back and loaded a rather muddy Saracen, Some great pics taken unlike my selfish two of my bike :oops:

One was from short cut on the downhill before the cafe and ended up dead in my tracks with too shoes full of black stagnent bog water and a bike that could stand on its own, I made a gloopy sloshing sound like a welly boot in deep mud :LOL:

Will be there for next one for sure

6424311d.jpg

e289188a.jpg

This was my 2Nd retro ride I have done and I absolutely loved it, a great days riding in good company 100 % hooked. Now what can I build next :D :D :D :D

drystonepaul's official ride report: Part One

It was a crisp and cool autumnal morning as I arrived at the Woodbine Cafe in Hope shortly after 9am. At first I didn't recognise Mr K sat outside in the sunshine sipping on a cinnamon semi latte, despite his fluorescent pink roadie cap and Afghan scarf/cravat. Flicking through a low budget fixie fanzine he nonchalantly acknowledged my arrival as I tripped over his polo mallet.

His breakfast arrived shortly afterwards along with a growing assortment of chaps wheeling with them an assortment of old bikes. From dipped in glitter disco Konas, to effortlessly well assembled Fats, Paces and DeKerfs and all the way through to John and his 89 Raleigh Mirage. Mr K was particularly cutting in his analysis of the rear centre ridged Cheng Shin tyre on this 'classic' beast.

After an hour or so of not so serious discussion and bacon butties, 28 riders lined up their bikes for the traditional pre-ride welcome and photo opportunity.

<--- INSERT MR K's CLASS OF 2010 PHOTO HERE --->

At some point during this assemblage a small commotion broke out nearby. At first, thinking that a couple of our retrobike riders had accidently stumbled over into a comedic heap on the ground, I let out a loud belly laugh of approval. Imagine my horror when I realised that our very own Guv'nor was callously granny bashing in broad daylight. I felt sickened to the very core.
Although that could've been last night's beers.

Goodbye Hope, hello hills

Leading out a long retro crocodile we reached the foot of the first small climb only to realise that we were already a rider down. The technical tarmac section on the main rode out of Hope was clearly too much for the front tyre on John's Mirage. One tube down he was paced back up the the peloton by Sinnett177 in the yellow gilet.

After a brief descent and a refreshing water splash, the first real climb up on to Shatton Moor began. Cheered along by a group of tourist at the half way stage I forced out a smile to the pretty girls and sucked in my belly to give the appearance of a highly trained athlete. grrrr!

Peaks2010-01.jpg

The Guv'nor flexes his chainstays

The strenuous effort was rewarded with a splendid view from the radio mast. The first of many fine views was soaked in whilst soaked in the sweat induced by climbing with 110 BCD chain-rings.
Climbing out of the cool air in the valley and into the last of the late summer sunshine was a great warm up for what lay ahead.

Peaks2010-02.jpg

A late surge of energy from Kaya and Mr Lee

HarryCrumb was also awarded with reaching the summit in pole position with the honour of carrying the legendary Monkey of Hope, for the next stint, or at least until the ride organisers saw fit.
However the problem with carrying the monkey isn't so much the additional weight on the climbs, but the potential damage inflicted in the result of a fall to both rider and piggy back primate.

Peaks2010-03.jpg

HarryCrumb proudly receives the Monkey of Hope

Deadly descent

After a few words of encouragement including the phrase "There's no shame in walking", the tricky downward traverse of Bradwell Edge was on the agenda. Several days of heavy rain had made the off camber singletrack descent even more slippery than a soaped up otter.

As the designated 'safety officer' for this section I held back and let everyone find their own way down with the intention of sweeping up any mishaps. Carefully threading my way through the bracken, nettles and thorns I desperately hoped for anything resembling traction from my twenty year old skin wall tyres. They were pumped up harder than my brake lever gripping forearms to avoid the chance of pinch punctures.

I did chuckle on hearing the whoops and screams echoing from the steep mudslide section lower down the descent.
Sufficiently 'papped' walking by Mr K and his long lens I joined a rag tag band of smiling bikers on the tarmac. There were a few blood injuries and plenty of mud, but no broken bones, so the first aid kit and accident book remained stashed away in my Camelbak.
Plenty of respect though for guest rider Kris. He skilfully rode most of the descent on a single speed fixed wheel Voodoo with only one brake on the front which didn't really even work too well.
He was also riding with the deathly pallor of a very sick man. He muttered something about poison Guinness at one point, before Stally, and I think perhaps the Grim Reaper, took him back down to Hope later in the ride.

The Mirage and the Monkey

Rolling down through Bradwell like a troupe of mud shedding muck spredders, we hooked up with a nice little section through the cement works and joined the start of the climb up Pin Dale.
After passing a large group of moto-crossers we assembled at the start of the 'official' hill climb competition. Last years winner Orange71 wasn't in attendance to defend his title, but 2008 victor P20 was.
Strict no bike alteration rules were enforced to prevent Jack from 'cheating' with lowered tyre pressures.

After many spirited attempts, included a few bike-ground interfaces, it was the long chainstay/Cheng Shin centre ridge combination that steered John to a convincing win. The budget rubber biting through the loose boulders to kick some Peak District ass.
It's notable that John's lungs expired before his bike did. I expect the value of Cheng Shins and Mirages to sky rocket on eBay as a result of this.
It's also notable to the rear tyre punctured part way up the climb, perhaps adding traction accidentally or perhaps a piece of cunning strategy. John remained tight lipped when questioned, although this could be due to him nearly coughing up his liver at the time of asking.
His sterling effort meant that he now had a monkey on his back.

More climbing ensued up Dirtlow rake and up onto the windy moors above Castleton. The moorland tracks provided a puddle slalom for some and a water splash for others.
Our happy but now hungry band of retrobikers dropped down to the road and up towards Mam Tor.
A third hill climb challenge was spontaneously contrived to really determine whether John's luck would continue. It didn't.
A three way tie between Mr Ship, Kaya and P20 though, was decided by a track stand competition. I think Richard won despite asking "What's a track stand?", but it could've been Jack. By this point I was too hungry to remember.

Retrobike Ridge riding

Peaks2010-04.jpg

A fine view ruined by a gratuitous display of lycra

A section of lovely natural singletrack brought us onto the ridge between Mam Tor and Hollins Cross. Stunning views and a fun bit of riding followed. I witnessed P20's slow motion cartwheel in front of me, but he said he was fine so I continued down to meet with the group.
This time rc200ti was in the midst of a puncture repair.

Peaks2010-05.jpg
Peaks2010-06.jpg

Seen it all before

Of course Rob's mechanical provided ample opportunity to soak in the views down the Hope Valley to the south and the Edale to the north.
It looked a long way back to the radio mast on Shatton Moor we'd passed nearly three hours earlier.

Peaks2010-07.jpg

Onward and downward

The next drop down into Edale was superb fun. Beginning with a series of rain bar rock steps, and continuing with thin lines of compacted dirt and mud contouring down the hillside, there were plenty of opportunities to sample the local hill grass more closely should concentration or skill levels suddenly wander.

After final section of loose twisty and gravelly tarmac, we counted everyone safely into the cafe for a well earned refreshment break.

PART TWO COMING SOON...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back