Help with ID of bike.. thanks =)

KLZW

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone...i've recently picked up this bike from the trash.. it had no headbadges or decals.. the frame was badly rusted n i couldn't make out the serial at all..All I know is that it's got a lugged steel construction and an entirely shimano drivetrain.. I believe that the frame was resprayed as it had a grey frame and a yellow fork..Here's some pics after I repainted it for daily commuting duties (WARNING: UGLY).. pity I didn't have any pre-repaint pics..I'll upload more soon..enjoy!

Attachments

• roadie1.jpg
    roadie1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,704
  • roadie2.jpg
    roadie2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,704
No idea what it is, post some close up pics of the lugs, these were often hand finished by high end frame builders and may give a clue of who built it. Likewise where the top tube, seat tube and seat stays join. It has over the BB cable routing which dates it as no later that the early 1980s. The rear drop outs hint at something agricultural rather than exotic.

derson":b40dqfym said:
you don't see paint jobs like that anymore...
Lol, you do in London. Plenty of urban camo, along with carbon bikes wrapped in gaffer tape etc :D

Yeah, as said, if you can get some close-up pictures of the lugs, around where the seatpost goes in and the tops of the forks it makes it easier to ID. I managed to narrow one of mine down to a 1979-81 Peugeot just from the lugs and the pattern at the top of the fork. Otherwise I had no idea what bike it was.

Though not with mudguard and rack eyes on the dropouts and half-mile clearances. Are the wheels 700c or 27"? Hmm...

Hi.. it has 27" wheels.. hmm.. i've just realised recently that it has a schwinn saddle.. any chance of it being a schwinn?

KLZW":3oswpgfs said:
Hi.. it has 27" wheels.. hmm.. i've just realised recently that it has a schwinn saddle.. any chance of it being a schwinn?
It's almost impossible to say what it might be without much better pictures, and even then probably not.

My first reaction is that the frame and fork probably didn't belong together originally, which would account for the different colours. The rear dropouts are stamped from thin sheet steel, and that combined with the form of the seatstay cluster suggests an older, cheaper bike - perhaps a Falcon, or a low-end model from one of the bigger manufacturers. I would also guess that few, if any of the parts are original to the bike. The Biopace cranks look quite nice. Is there a model number (FC-xxxx) on them anywhere?

Schwinns have never arrived in the UK in big numbers, so I'd say it's extremely unlikely to be one.

Back