Newbie with a story

imaginearat

Retro Newbie
Hi all, stumbled across your forum and I'm hoping you can help me out. I have a 1948 Ernie Clements frame that my father bought new back in '48 as a complete bike. He used to ride at a track in Liverpool. Three decades later he had it recomisioned by Quinns on Edge Lane, Liverpool and presented it to me for my 14th birthday, thirty years ago. Unfortunatly all that survives today is the frame and forks, however after surviving this long I think it deserves a rebuild!
My question is how do I go about it? Firstly I need to identify the model, was there more than one option in 1948? Then I need frame graphics, are these available? Once the frame is complete I'll need help with the components, new or used? The questions go on and on. Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome.............
Don't know much about Ernie Clements bikes, but Clements bicycles are still running and is now run by Ernie's son, he should be able to help with a model.....

Thanks for the information, the link for the decals is great.
I spoke to my father today and he tells me that the model is an Ernie Clements 'Clees' not sure of the spelling but he says it was named after a hillcimb in Shropshire similar to Wrekin, can anyone confirm this?
He also said he purchased the bike from Walvale Cycles in Liverpool for £60 in 1948 which seems an outrageously high price in those days, could this be correct?

Not sure about the model, but Clee hill, is a famous climb in Shropshire.
I've worked at the quarry there, many times.
Now there has been many fine bicycles, come out of Walvale cycles, as for £60, that does sound expensive, i was'nt around in 1948, but surely you could buy a house for that money.......

I'm quite sure thats the same frame as mine, from memory the lugs look identical and the tubes to the rear wheel taper away to almost nothing. I'll post some pictures when I figure out how.

Back