DeKerf Team SL

kaiser":2c30zvws said:
I take it your not concerned about period correctness? Looks like a good frame to hang some nice boutique parts of then. Not sure about the carbon forks though. They tend to be quite a fat leg compared to the slinky tubes. What about a custom fork? Maybe a dekerf or a waltworks? Possibly a groovy or type II? Race face steel stem would be nice.
You're right that I'm not worried about period correctness, particularly as it's a period when I wasn't in the UK so have no real 'feel' for the era. I understand where you're coming from with the fat carbon legged forks but having just fitted some to a mates bike they do ride very nicely - in addition, would period correct suspension forks not also be quite fat? I do like the idea of a custom fork but that might well be a real budget challenger as the carbons can be had new for under £100 and the custom ones will be well distant of £200 I suspect.

Current inclination is to get it rideable, enjoy it and adapt from there.

suburbanreuben":2c30zvws said:
It's time to bite the bullet and get some bounce on the front, I'm afraid. Some decent modern forks too!
Steady on there big man, one thing at a time!

It's one thing being luddite, but if you fit thumbys alongside your disc brake levers, might it not look a bit odd? Anyway, I thought gears were for softies? I'm sure I read that somewhere recently.

One problem with de Kerf paint jobs is that although they look very nice in isolation, it can be difficult to find a fork that looks good in combination. Anyway, you want to give your rivals a chance to keep up with you, so maybe a carbon rigid is the way to go.

I would agree that the frame would have geometry for a 71 degree head angle with a sagged 80mm fork, which is more or less the same as saying 71 degrees with a 43cm a-c rigid. They seem to build carbon rigids 425mm long to suit frames designed for 80mm suspension, or 445 to suit 100mm frames. So a 425 should suit it nicely.

It looks to me as though it has a 34.9 down tube and a 31.8 top tube, and the stays are likely to be plain-gauge to cope with disc brake forces. I don't what gauge tubes de Kerf uses, but you may find the frame a lot stiffer and stronger than say the RM Altitude that you bought a while back. I think this is the way that steel builders went generally, partly to make best use of longer-travel suspension and partly to make steel competitive with aluminium. It will be interesting to hear how they compare.

Great stuff Anthony, I was wondering about how long the forks should be - 425mm it is!

I believe The Guvnor would describe the planned build as a lash up. And for once he may be right - I'll simply chuck the frame in the shed and see what sticks to it.
Anthony":22j2g71s said:
It's one thing being luddite, but if you fit thumbys alongside your disc brake levers, might it not look a bit odd?
But with cable discs I can use older era XT v brake levers so it won't look (so) out of place. Or at least that's what I'm hoping.

ededwards":2zv232gt said:
I believe The Guvnor would describe the planned build as a lash up. And for once he may be right - I'll simply chuck the frame in the shed and see what sticks to it.
But surely he's *always* right! But he does seem to like teasing you, from what I've seen.

I think you're absolutely right to get it rideable asap though. You can always improve it later. Some members seem to own a frame for ages while they're waiting for the perfect parts to materialise, and they don't even know yet if they're going to like the way it rides. In truth, the parts don't make a lot of difference to whether you like a bike or not IMO.

Anthony":10rnvzzg said:
ededwards":10rnvzzg said:
But surely he's *always* right! But he does seem to like teasing you, from what I've seen.

He'll get his when the time is right :twisted:

Fair suggestion above about P2s but figured that an 853 frame needed better than the £70 plain gauge 4130 P2s. So, while listening to Lady Gaga (which has no relevance other than suggesting mental confusion), I bought these http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&c=43&p=195& - same ones I got for my mate and reputedly the same as Nuke Proof and White Brothers, among others, just differently badged. Good company to deal with and the forks rode nicely. Also do inch steerer forks for those that need them.

Glad you received the frame Ed.Here is a couple of incarnations i had it in.One was a 80mm pair of Sids and another White Brothers carbon in 425mm length.Both modern builds but suitably retro styled with flat bars and XT.Hope you enjoy it!
Thanx Max

Attachments

• DSC00502 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00502 (Medium).JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 762
  • ebay sells and bikes 002 (Medium).jpg
    ebay sells and bikes 002 (Medium).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 762
Thanks Max, was quite amazed to win to be honest but a more than pleasant surprise. Top service to as it was sent very promptly (indeed it was delivered at the same time as a frame left, by the same van!) and the packing was so good it took a fair while to get through, only enhancing the anticipation!

It is certainly a handsome frame and the version with the carbon forks was what I had in mind (I think I must have remembered that second photo without realising it) although I think I'll be going even more retro influenced with it, or as much as you can with discs and carbon forks. This is less about style as about using stuff I already have lying around.

Should be interesting to get it built up and ridden, I'm really looking forward to it.

Nice frame ed but what will you do about the dent :?: that really would annoy me.....anyway congratulations looks nice.

I'll have it checked at the LBS but as it's steel to be honest the dent doesn't really worry me, it's not even broken the paint. Might cover it up with a sticker though.

Back