1979-ish Viking Superstar 12?

Goldie

Senior Retro Guru
Made a bit of a cameo appearance on here already, but now featuring matching tyres and Brooks:

DSC02437.jpg

Frame: Hefty steel pipes

Fork: Same

Headset:
Stem: SR forged alloy
Handlebar: Viking engraved alloy
Bar Tape: Cloth (knackered)

Brake Levers Weinmann alloy with extension levers
Brake Calipers: Weinmann Type 730 alloy side pull

Shifters: Huret twin band on
Front Derailleur: Huret
Rear Derailleur: Huret

Rims: Rigida Superchromix, 27 x 1 1/4 inch
Hubs: Maillard chromed
Tyres: Schwalbe gumwall
Tubes: Scarily old on the front, cheap and new on the back

Saddle: Brooks B17 (shortie ladies version), honey
Seatpost: chrome, too short
Seatpost Binder:

Extras: MKS toe clips

Weight: This infomation has been omitted to protect the innocent

DSC02438.jpg

DSC02439.jpg

DSC02440.jpg

DSC02441.jpg

DSC02442.jpg

DSC02444.jpg

The bike is really good looking, even if the frame is not made from lightweight tubing. The Schwalbe tyres really suit the bike. What model are they? I can't find it on their website.

That's a really nice simple build. I particularly like the canvas wraps on the handlebars. I've got a massive roll of that stuff and now I know what to do with it!

Thanks all. I dunno about those Schwalbes - I've just had a look on the walls and there's no model name. I know they're current though because I cleared out the last of my LBS's stock and they got some more in, god bless 'em.

Mike, I was going to leave the bar tape as is - it might sound a bit weird but the rest of the bike came to me in such good nick that I've sort of got attached to it. It's like a little dimple on the cheek of a really hot lass...

Goldie":3hed4ee3 said:
Thanks all. I dunno about those Schwalbes - I've just had a look on the walls and there's no model name. I know they're current though because I cleared out the last of my LBS's stock and they got some more in, god bless 'em.

Mike, I was going to leave the bar tape as is - it might sound a bit weird but the rest of the bike came to me in such good nick that I've sort of got attached to it. It's like a little dimple on the cheek of a really hot lass...

Fair enough, some nice period cloth tape would be nice, white will soon dirty up a bit!

i have one of those too! mine is getting powder coated next week. a nice silver i feel, to match the original. once you strip it of all the bits the frame isn't actually too heavy.

tape wise the brown fizik perforated tape (micro x?) is very period looking and nice stuff.

I've tweaked the saddle height and angle and took it out for a ride today and...

...2 mph jump in my average speed! I'll have that, ta very much. To be fair, it was gorgeous out, and I'd had a very healthy pre-ride lunch courtesy of http://pjhowarthbutcher.com/ - thanks lads! - both of which must have contributed.

I've finally got around to replacing the bar tape as well, and am in love with this Capri 1.6L of a bike all over again.

Here it is in the mighty Blackpool, just after the BHF night ride from Manchester, 18 September:

DSC03659.jpg

Back