Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Google+

• Another bike site

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there, my name's George and I'm from Sunderland. I've recently got back into cycling to try and get rid of my beer gut. I was on holiday in Wlaes a couple of weeks ago and saw loads of amazing old school mountain bikes in Llanwrst. Bit of googling when I got back and found this site (since realised it was the old school world championship).

Any way today I got my hands on a Saracen BackTrax that I sold to a friend maybe 12 years ago. Got it back off him for 2 bottles of wine as he wouldn't take any cash. All seems in working order so happy days.

Hi all, my name is Patrick and live in the Isle of Man thought would finally introduce myself after months of lurking on this site, found this forum when searching for information on my 98 orange clockwork which had been bought used and abused forgotten about lived outside for the last 12 years, finding this place inspired me to do the bike up

For everyday hacking about on I have a specailized rockhopper but have certainly got the bug for old bikes now, the next project I have are tip finds a 1993 Saracen Traverse elite and a 1990 Raleigh racing bike.

Great forum by the way and very addictive. :cool:

Regards

Pat

Hi All :)

Throttleton from Newcastle and love old school bike in General.

really cool to see some of the coveted but totally unobtainable machinery from my youth (now 38!!) still being loved!!

good stuff!!

(also getting my 2 starter posts done so i can paste in a URL of my "retro" that i would love more info on.

Thanks all and keep it up:)

Hello

been browsing the site for a couple of weeks - it's awesome. didn't realise that there were others out there! spent my teens in the 90s MTBing around the yorks dales - soooo lucky! had a few GTs and ended up with a karakoram with Mag 21s that got nicked, got a klein attitude comp with the insurance proceeds and upgraded it a bit, hope and pace hubs on 217s, judy sls, xtr/xt v brakes and a massive cow horn bar (I'm 6'5''). loved the bike but crashed it into a Peugeot 306 a few years ago. The frame snapped in two places - the car was pretty screwed too, which is some consolation. i still have the bike (and frame bits) and have the MTB bug again so I'm looking for another klein frame and some forks to go with it. amazingly the wheels came out of the crash still true, though the rims are quite used and concave - can u still get decent rims for v's/cantis now that discs are everywhere? live on the south downs so the plan is to build up a light xc attitude and get out there before i get too old. would be nice to get some choice 90s bits for the bike, though I'm not a purist... yet. thinking that I should build something properly retro for the missus to tootle around on though... ;)

New here so better introduce myself.

70s - rode a chopper.
Early to mid 80s - rode a raleigh racer then onto motorbikes and cars.
1991 ish - given an MTB for a birthday present which I rode to work occasionally- a Raleigh Mustang. Rode it off road once through wet clay and nearly blew a gasket.
The following week bought a fairly new Marin bear valley I think a '92 in that weird grey paint. Rode it out the following weekend and I was hooked. Did all my riding on that bike with rigid forks. Upgraded the wheels and tyres and anything that fell off or wore out.
2002 ish - bought an S works M4, stopped cycling and got fat.
Easter time this year I was shown an off road route near my home. A 45 minute loop on fire roads and bridleways. Remembered how much fun it was. Met up with my good friend and co-cyclist of the '90s for dinner and this site was mentioned. Since then I have started to ride off road again and have made a couple of purchases in the for sale section. I hope you may be able to help with the many questions I have about these.

Regards: Uncle Monty.

Hi, I live in Australia and one of my first races was the 1991 MTB Nationals. I raced the uphill and the downhill on a Fisher Supercaliber with Suntour XC Comp, my first proper MTB. I have been riding most of my life and built quite a few trails in my local area.

I currently have a 03 C'dale F3000 SL, 03 Giant DH Comp, 07 DMR Sidekick and a 08 Colnago CLX roadie. Just started my first retro build: a 91 Haro Extreme Comp NOS frame, can't wait to get it built up.

Have already bought some parts from other users and ebay. I could easily spend my weeks hard earned dollars in the for sale section but I must resist, I have a family to feed apparently.

I will post pics of the Haro build in Reader's MTBs soon.

Hello from me

Thought I'd say hello, started with a Proflex 456 in 1995 which I sold for some reason. Then got a Schwinn Rocket which again I got rid of. Currently got a felt Compulsion (my offroad hack), a GT Aggressor and my fave which is retro ish a Carrera Jabberwock from 2003/2004 and a couple of road bikes. I've got a liking for all things titanium and carbon.

A short intro....

I've been on here for a while but havent posted much....so I would like to say hello! My name is Emma and I live in sunny Cornwall....

I started with a really cool (at the time) Dawes Giro road bike which was aluminium, carbon fork and 105 group.....I got rid of that one about 4 years ago and moved on to a MUCH cooler Litespeed Anthares in black with yellow and I love it! It has mavic 'ksyrium' wheels and ultegra group set...awesome in my book!

I also ride a Rocky Mountain Grind which was custom built for me a few years ago which has Fox, XT, XTR. Love my Rocky and Litespeed too much to part with them, so more recently have an addition to the family...my Bontrager Race. This has just been finished and I went out on her for the first time today. Pace, Hope, Mavic, XT, Ritchey and custom built snowflake wheels.

A friend who is obsessed with retro-bike, wouldnt rest until I succumbed to joining...so here I am!

How did I miss this thread before starting, what is effectively, a thread all about me :D

Anyway.. I'm a Scot, living in St Neots, Cambs.

Used to cycle a helluva lot more than I do now (i.e. not at all, but starting again) commuting 12 miles each way to uni, to either Alpine Bikes or Nevisport in Glasgow where I worked as well as weekend jaunts up into the Highlands as well as local blats.

My ride, as it was when I stopped riding and is still a custom build '98 CroMo Kona Caldera with a mixture of XT/XTR and Sachs kit on it. I got most of the it when I worked at Alpine Bikes for cost+VAT so was a pretty good deal at the time.

Work-wise, I'm a professional geek (MySQL DBA for those that really want to know), working from home for a remote database management company.

I'm also an erstwhile amateur engineer, and have filled my garage with all the relevant toys. If I can't find a part, I'll have a damned good shot at making one, which is just as well when you consider I've got far too many motorcycles than is healthy, and one of them is a 1942 WWII courier motorcycle :|

Apart from motorcycles, cycling and geekery, I also enjoy a spot of sailing and visiting France to partake in wine and stinky cheese.

Hi,

just here to try and find some info. on my c. my 2000 rockhopper, as i can't find anything elsewhere on the net.

Recently got back into mtb, enjoying singletrack rather than xc/bridleways that i used to years ago. Have moved on to a new bike and don't really have to the time/knowledge to rebuild the rockhopper for other duties :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back