NE&YORKS Noggin and Natter

Hi Lads, new to the forum and mountain biking in general. Looking for some trials, mainly singletrack really but struggling to find anything local (live in Ashington). A lad at work suggested Thrunton but it seems more technical than I maybe had in mind - is it easy enough to just cycle around having a gander at the trails (have read on other forums you guys like to keep them secret :) )
Also how child friendly is it, looking at going up with the laddie (12) early Sat morning if its ok.....

Thanks for any advice

Ian

Hi Ian and welcome to RB.

Thrunton is a big place and there is something for everyone from fireroad, moorland XC to nasty bone breaking DH. We ride there most weeks- usually Tuesdays and Thursdays. No problem in showing you around just keep an eye on the NE Nightrides thread.
Plenty of other things going on too- see the Calendar. Weekend rides are to cater for all tastes and the routes are pretty easy- 25 miles max, mainly off road and on mixed trails.
There is also a local group based in and around Morpeth called the Muddybums with whom I ride occasionally. They do big epics in the Cheviots at the weekends but steadier social 'Bimbles' on weeknights. Again a friendly bunch who warmly welcome new riders along.

As for singletrack we are spoilt for choice. As well as Thrunton there is some great stuff in Simonside and around Morpeth, Wansbeck River, Coquet, Hartburn etc.

Nothing much happening this week as I'm going down to the Peaks on Saturday but could be up for a ride next wed or thurs. Simonside could be a possibility??

Si

Cheers Si, thanks for the information. I like the sound of the gentle(r) midweek rides, but need lights first lol.
Any idea where I should start at Thrunton, or is just going for an explore the right way to do it?

The meaty stuff is pretty hard to find. The XC is pretty easy. Just head straight up the fireroad from the top car park. Ignore the first turn to the right after a few hundred yards and continue climbing. You will then come to a junction, keep right and continue for another half mile and turn right at the next T junction (left takes you to some of the secret stuff). After a short fireroad climb you come to another junction in a cleared section of forest. Take the left and continue to the end of the fireroad where it turns into open heather moorland. To your right is a rooty but steady climb between a wall and the treeline. This is the beginning of the XC loop. Follow this until it levels out. You will soon see a gate on your left- ignore this and continue on the singletrack through the trees (don't take the wider option on the right). 100yds later you will find a second gate on your left onto the moorland. Take this one. You are now out on the moor heading toward more trees on the crag. Very boggy here but keep going. Track Rcs round to the left now past a pond. Keep going and you will be out in the open again and heading toward a cairn. The views here are brilliant. There is only one track now so navigation is easier. Follow the track south toward Coe Crag along some sweet singletrack through the heather. You will now be at a cracking section with loads of line choices. Keep heading down until you reach the stream (via a few gates). When you get to the stream look left for a track through thick ferns and a fence with a hole cut in it. This trail brings you back to the forest roads. From here you can climb back up the fire road to the left or continue along the valley bottom and pick up more singletrack along side the stream (pretty hard to find but very good). This will bring you out at Coeburn Farm and the Tarmac road. Turn left and it's a 10 min climb back to your starting point.

welcome, get along to the day trips, we are down at the peak district this saturday, we usually get out and do a big ride out once a month.

check out the aftermath threads for pics.

Hi saltyman, thanks for the invite, I think however weekend day trips are out of the question at the minute, local football Sat afternoons (home and away!) and then sons football 1.00 on a Sunday ( :evil: ) take all my time at the minute.

Small steps though....

:D

Dr S":18lyixgm said:
As for singletrack we are spoilt for choice. As well as Thrunton there is some great stuff in Simonside and around Morpeth, Wansbeck River, Coquet, Hartburn etc.
Si
There`s a few good rides out of Wooler with sweet singletrack too, pretty quiet now the walkers (shared access folks) summer holidays are over

Latest posts

Back