Newbie needs advice

If you are planning a cycling holiday that involves camping, forget about anything other than a proper tourer.

For light touring (B&Bs etc) then an Audax bike is OK, but you won't want more than 10kg of stuff.

You can build really brilliant tourers from early 1990s steel MTBs - my favorite bike is a 1990 Marin Palisades with drop bars. It's fast enough, and still rock steady with a big load. With some lightish bits it's 24.5lb with mudguards and a rack. Top-end MTB frames can be a bit lightweight and flexy so a midrange frame is really best suited - a Specialized Rockhopper would be another good pick. Konas tend to be a bit long in the top tube to take drop bars comfortably.

Is a proper tourer a very heavy bike?
You some time come across with old tourers 531 Reynolds frame, do their 531 frames weight the same of racing frames or are they much thicker hence heavier?

pigman":39dzc2bg said:
I think, we're kinda saying the same thing
Yeah we are, you're just better at it than I am :D

One other thing to think about with old bikes, Tusco: they have a habit of breeding. I only had my old Raleigh at one point but I seem to have 5 bikes now. Once the bug bites and the word goes out that you like old stuff... it's a vicious circle dude :D

Jonny69":37kaz612 said:
One other thing to think about with old bikes, Tusco: they have a habit of breeding. I only had my old Raleigh at one point but I seem to have 5 bikes now. Once the bug bites and the word goes out that you like old stuff... it's a vicious circle dude :D

there's no danger for me: I haven't got money and space for more than 1 bike :LOL:

I generally use my 'modern' Bianchi Nirone on most group rides but sometimes take one of my retro steeds out for an airing. I don't feel at to much of a disadvantage and I suppose it makes me try harder! Some of the younger riders look at me a bit strangely and can't seem to understand why I don't go straight out of the back. I can't be bothered to explain that it's the rider not just the bike!

Back