• Google+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another bike site

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy

Hello from another member who's been lurking for ages...

I'm Nottingham born & mostly bred, so I can foresee some vintage Raleighs in my future. I've just got my first, and it's gorgeous - a metallic blue mid-90s M-Trax 1000 cromo which has done very few miles. Original, even down to tyres and cabes - well apart from my SPDs & saddle!

Surprised at just how decent the old 7-speed Alivio groupset is.

It feels a bit small, but maybe that's the geometry. I'll give it a week or so, otherwise it's back to the buy/sell forum... this might become another expensive hobby...

Hello everyone, have been lurking for a while and now finally registered! I used to be well into my bikes when I was at School, always wanted a Kona, but for christmas 1994 I got a Saracen Eiger from the Halfords sale. Sadly my dad removed and skipped :shock: most of the original components while I was away at uni - but I still have it now as a single speed and use it every day for my very short commute.

And just this last week I've bought a 94 kona lava dome - the one I wanted as a kid!

Here is a pic of the saracen:

SaracenEiger1.jpg

De-Lurking - another Orange owner

Time to De-Lurk - proud(ish) owner of a '89 (i think) Orange Alu O
Pace RC-35s which Tim is kindly sending some elastomers for;
XT chainset with Pace chainrings,
Mavic x517 on DX 7sp rear and x517 on Hope Suspension front; running a combination of original Smokes, Porcs and UmmaGummas
USE seatpost and orange Flite.

Also got a Cannondale M2000 - lovely dark/light blue fade on the frame - Pepperonis

Trying to rebuild a '98 Spec FSR Extreme - Grrrrrrrr

Also a road bike - I succumbed to the dark-side

Hi All, found this site this morning after my interest in old mountain bikes shot through the roof yesterday. Got roped into helping parents tidy up their garage and found my original mountain bike buried right at the back, god knows how it got there as I've been accusing my ex-wife of selling/dumping it for years !!!!!

My bike is a 1991/92 Kona Kilauea, solid black in colour, and is completely original, Deore DX groupset, P2 forks, Dia-comp brake levers and it's still got the original propulsion and equilibrium tyres :shock: I know I had swapped the wheels/tyres pretty much straight after buying the bike, but can't remember changing them back. The only things I did add, was an xlite titanium seat post bolt, xlite bar ends and some SPD's.

The bike has some surface rust on the stem, handlebars and bits of rear mech, which I will probably try and clean up (advice on this would be welcome) or I'll start searching for replacements, but would like to keep the bike as original looking as possible, however I always dreamed of putting suspension forks on it ( Manitou were always the ones I wanted) so if anyone knows what will fit, please let me know.

Anyway hopefully talk to some of you soon as I'm bound to be asking for some advice on how best to bring my bike back to it's former glory :D

I'll get some pictures uploaded later today.

Cheers

Mark

Hi there I fell across this site trying to find a review of a bike I saw on Edinburgh Gumtree - I live in East Lothian.

In fact what I really need is advice regarding a heavy duty MTB suitable for a heavily overweight ex rugby player to charge around after my children. Ideally by the end of the winter I want to be out in front...

I had thought a Kona Hoss might be suitable but advice regarding older bikes is what I am looking for. Should I start a seperate thread?

Many thanks

Hi I saw you over in the MacRetro section you should have said hello. ;)
You should ask some of the guys as there's a few big lads on there.

Welcome to the site :D
RobMac

RobMac":13ap3z5j said:
Hi I saw you over in the MacRetro section you should have said hello. ;)
You should ask some of the guys as there's a few big lads on there.

Welcome to the site :D
RobMac

Thanks for the welcome. Well spotted - I was going to introduce myself there but couldn't find a suitable thread. I will dive over there now.

Hi everyone,
I'm Jason, used to do a lot of mountain bike racing in the early 90s when I was in my early teens. Got my dream bike, a yeti, whe I was 14 and recently taken up cycling again.
I now do off road riding but also a fair few sportives and the cycling leg on team relay triathlons. Wanting to get into time trialling.

Greetings from the gutter ;-)

Hi,

I am drowning through this nice forum a few weeks, so I think I should introduce myself. I am Michael, I live in Germany and got hooked again with biking this year. First time I owned a mounty (SunnDX), was in 1987 to regenerate a broken knee to get healthy again. Next bike was a lovely Ti hardtail with m900 components and avid arch supremes. Then there was a long decade without biking till this year. I bought 2 cheapy cross bikes (28"ers) for my wife and me and short time later I began to swap the too cheeky parts (brakes, derallieurs, STIs and so on) with higher quality parts (LX on my wifes crosser and XTR/XT on mine ;-))

A few weeks later I got behold of a lovely frame from Biria made of Tange Ultralight tubes with Ritchey ends and a very nice "woody" paintjob. Till now I hunted the most needable parts like XTR mechs, hope hubs, x517 rims, a U.G.L.I. Ti rigid fork, king headset, tune stem / post & seatclamp, F.R.O. cantis, love levers, odyssey straddle-rods, splattered hyperlite bar, paul thumbie with dura ace shifter, ringle acs and a few more spare swappsies ;-)

My other longtime hobby is my smurf blue 1991 eunos roadster and the red 1993 eunos roadster "zender" le from my wife

Third time eating hobby is the small number of fishtanks with a group of dwarf puffers in the 120litre tank, a red congo puffer in the 200litre and a lovely nile puffer in the last tank, a 450litre one. The dwarfs eating little snails and worms, the red congo eats little goldfishs (around 10cm) and the nile puffer eats crabs at 10-15cm, goldfish in the same length and big wine snails and shrimps - off course only fresh and alife :eek:

Cheers

Hello From Cambridge!

Afternoon Ladies & Gents.

Just wanted to say Hi and congratulate you all on an awesome community you have built here.

I have been off the MTB scene for 15 years now, last bike was a 1995 Cindercone!

I now have a 2010 Whyte 901 as my everyday hard tail/commuter and over the next few month be building some 90 DH/Playbike.

Not quite sure yet but will keep you all posted.

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back