Attachments

• small 060720102008.jpg
    small 060720102008.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 4,544
  • small 060720102005.jpg
    small 060720102005.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 4,544
My rediscovered Kilauea

Here's a pic of my original mountain bike, that I thought was gone for good, found it at the weekend buried at the back of my parents garage!!! Really pleased, just got a lot of cleaning to do now.

Attachments

• 31102009-022.jpg
    31102009-022.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 4,153
Recently completed (bar swapping cranks over):

Inthedarkdarkwoods2.jpg

KonaBalustrade3.jpg

SmilePlease2.jpg

Re: My rediscovered Kilauea

MAP70":321tfqc6 said:
Here's a pic of my original mountain bike, that I thought was gone for good, found it at the weekend buried at the back of my parents garage!!! Really pleased, just got a lot of cleaning to do now.
That's excellent. It's quite rare to see one of the original 1992 Kilaueas in the black option colour. There can't have been all that many made, given that the Kilauea didn't come out until late in the season. It's a size 19 frame, but although it's a 1992 model, it anticipates the new 1993 geometry and shape of frame.

Seems to be pretty original, right down to the tyres. They're worth quite a bit now, but I hope you won't take them off!

Anthony":1mya1dzm said:
MAP70":1mya1dzm said:
That's excellent. It's quite rare to see one of the original 1992 Kilaueas in the black option colour. There can't have been all that many made, given that the Kilauea didn't come out until late in the season. It's a size 19 frame, but although it's a 1992 model, it anticipates the new 1993 geometry and shape of frame.

Seems to be pretty original, right down to the tyres. They're worth quite a bit now, but I hope you won't take them off!

Thanks for that Anthony, the only things I added to the bike, were the xlite bar ends, xlite seat post bolt, a computer and SPD's (original Onza's then shimano) but I still have all the original parts stored away. The tyres and wheels were hardly used as I put another set on it for some reason and too be honest can't remember when they were changed back to the originals.

I've had the bike from new and bought it from Finch and Son's in Reigate, if I remember rightly it was a toss-up between this and Specialized of some type. The reason I put ' I thought it was gone for good' is because it actually went 'missing' during a typically messy divorce. And nobody remembers it being returned or put in the garage :shock:

Anyway I've got it back now and I can't believe how pleased I am, my only worry is the stem, it's got a lot of surface rust across the top which I'm going to have to deal with, I'll put a photo of it on here later, and if anyone can pass on some advice or tips I would be very grateful.

My 1991 Explosif

My 1991 Explosif. My first renovation, love it. Colour inspired by Sesame Snaps. I know the decals are newer, I just liked them better. Full XT+thumbies, Cook Bros, White Bros, Ringle. And yeh I have got a computer on it. Had it set up with slicks for a while as a roady.
Long live Kona!!

Wanted: 16/17" explosif or kilauae frame, early 90's. Cheers
url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/[35460576@N06/5016957561/]
5016957561_8689219840_b.jpg
[/url]
1991 Explosif by mangacheeka, on Flickr

MAP70":2s01ustl said:
nobody remembers it being returned or put in the garage :shock:
How do you know it was human hand? It might have been the Gods of the Fire Mountain :cool:

MAP70":2s01ustl said:
Anyway I've got it back now and I can't believe how pleased I am, my only worry is the stem, it's got a lot of surface rust across the top which I'm going to have to deal with, I'll put a photo of it on here later, and if anyone can pass on some advice or tips I would be very grateful.
I wouldn't mind betting it's only surface. Being black makes it easier to repair. Remove as much rust as possible with a fine craft file. Then stabilise with Kurust from Halfords. Then repaint as close as possible.

Re: My 1991 Explosif

derson":3a1hbyq2 said:
My 1991 Explosif. My first renovation, love it. I know the decals are newer, I just liked them better.
It looks great. What type of rear brake cable stop is that? Looks quite a neat solution for the oval-shaped top tube.

Latest posts

Back