1977 Raleigh Chopper Mk2

johhnyp":2nfnrvgl said:
Spokesmann":2nfnrvgl said:
sisyphus":2nfnrvgl said:
Just lovely - but dont you need some ribbons hanging from the handlebars? For xmas in 1972 ish I got a Royal Enfield racer and my best friend got a Chopper - envy until I realised he was never going to beat me in a race!!

Im not a ribbons/streamer man! :LOL:

Me neither. I preferred the clothes peg on the seat stay with a few cigarette cards brushing against the spokes. If your imagination was vivid enough, it sounded just like a motor bike (yeah, right :) )

Now that does take me back, it could very noisy if done right, always reminded me of a VW Beetle with no silencer!

Thanks for the pictures - that is one lovely bit of eye candy.

I've got an old purple mk2 in the shed at my dad's and it doesn't matter how heavy it was, I always loved it. Classic bit of 70s nostalgia.

loramski":qe6y5hpl said:

I've got an old purple mk2 in the shed at my dad's and it doesn't matter how heavy it was, I always loved it. Classic bit of 70s nostalgia.

Thanks, still rideable is it?

loramski":3szh71pl said:

Spokesmann":2au42zll said:
This is a heavy brute at over 30lbs. My Mk3 in aluminium is considerably lighter.
They must have built them like the earlier RSW-16. I had to carry mine home last night and it weighs a TON!

Jonny69":31s0vs73 said:
Spokesmann":31s0vs73 said:
This is a heavy brute at over 30lbs. My Mk3 in aluminium is considerably lighter.
They must have built them like the earlier RSW-16. I had to carry mine home last night and it weighs a TON!

The RSW16 has a few interchangeable parts with the Chopper, such as front wheels/tyres/tubes.

Spokesmann":esbzuass said:
loramski":esbzuass said:

Yes, I'd say so. It was fine the last time I rode it, which was about 27 years ago or so I suppose, when I got a new bike and it's just sat in the shed/garage ever since. Bit of surface rust and a few minor bits of damage to the plastic gear thingy but otherwise substantially intact.

Back