1998 Rockhopper resurrection

Thanks very much for the offer, only having just shelled out for a toolkit (bike virgin....lol), shifters and chainset the next priority is the powdercoaters and skintness is rampant just now...... :oops:

Right, the bb is out and tomorrow morning the frame and fork are going to the powdercoaters :D :D :D

For weight weenie reference the 19" Rockhopper Nitanium frame bare weighs 2.53 Kg. A little more than I had thought, but light enough for me for sure.....

Now, when he comes back the fun will start.. :)

Chainset has arrived and frame at the powdercoaters. Only pedals and breakpads to get and by next weekend the birth of the first rideable config will see the light of day.......can't wait!!!!

Then it's sell the modern generic Kona Blast, take some of the money and tart the Hopper up to full glory/fat DMR Supermotos, decals, etc and then be careful not to accidentally pick up another frame/project straight away....lol. This shit is indeed addictive it seems. There should be a label on the home page like on fag packets..... :cool:

I'm keen to see how this one turns out as well.
I might be interested in the forks if you don't want them as I have a frame from a year earlier that i'm going to work on this winter. Like you I may well begoing down the single speed route ass a simple light but durable ride.

What chainset did you get? I love the old strongarm ones, really distinctive, got some second hand ones for my build but its a personal preference :D

BTW £45 for a respray is really good. Hopefully it will come out well :D

I'm told to phone the powdercoater tomorrow to see if he's managed to get it done yet....can't wait. Not looking to go single speed though. Keeping the STX RC with 8 speed cassette on the back, but with something like a 32-36t single ring on the front.

Got a nice set of Sugino cranks (of a 90's Kona) from a friendly chap called Jeff on here....

Ooohh, getting excited now....powdercoater done, go to pick up the frame on monday. Koolstops in the post, all bits for the first (to be continually upgraded :D ) incarnation are in the bag......looks like next week is assembly day :cool:

Only one wee worry...I have two 68mm bb's of different lengths, but when the LBS removed the old stuck one he muttered "Oh, 73mm bb...." and I went "Really?".......and then I was stupid enough to let them chuck the old one without reading it or measuring the frame before giving it to the powdercoaters.

Now, bikepedia says ALL 98 Rockhoppers are 68mm........I guess I'll find out on monday. Only it would suck to start running around for a bb instead of assembling......

Frame pics monday! :cool: :cool:

lol....the name is actually Boris, Superhans ;) .....and I am about to climb in the car for the 2 hour round trip to collect the thing, so frame pics later today :cool:

Right. He's home!

The coating job is of variable quality with a few wee dustkorns and a slight light edge on the top of th head tube as can be seen....but ye know what, I don't mind....looks pukka for me and was cheap. Thinking now not to relabel him, but keep him clean. Maybe an "S" on the head tube and perhaps a "Rockhopper" somewhere random like bottom chainstay left....lets see.

Unfortunately it turns out he's 73mm bb and so the two bb's I have don't fit and it seems I need a 73/122.5mm square axle before he can be brought to life...

More updates as he grows in the next few days.

04102010137.jpg

04102010133.jpg

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6277/04102010134.jpg[img]

Sorry about the shite camera/phone...all that's at hand at the mo...

Back