Kilauea question

spearmint

Dirt Disciple
Hello all I’m new here and i have an issue with my lovely little kona.

I've been riding my 93 kona kilauea singlespeed for the past 4 months as a rolling restoration which i've been upgrading (with modern bits unfortunately) when the urge takes me. I’m now onto wheels and have come across a minor (dear god i hope it’s minor) problem.

The rear has a bolted in rear wheel not a quick release when i put the wheel in it winds the dropouts in about 8-10mm on each side. Now i assume that the space between the dropouts should be 135mm to suit a standard hub which it is with the wheel installed. When there is no wheel installed the space between dropouts is around 150mm.

Now my question is

A) Is my frame borked and if so can it be fixed?
B) Is it meant to be like this and i have the wrong sized rear hub installed? (do i need a 150mm hub?)
C) Is it ok to run a 150mm hub even if it is a bit borked but still fairly sound?

All help gratefully received.

Thanks

Huw

is your wheel not in the centre of the frame .

it it is , dont worry about it .

Somethings bent somewhere but as said, if the wheel runs central it doesn't matter.

Good thing about steel frames, they bend and don't break :)

If it works i wouldn't worry as long as the frame is structurally sound. If you put the wheel in the wrong way round, does it still sit in the centre?

I had the same problem with my 94 Lava Dome. I have a Ringle rear hub with a 135mm spacing, but I'm cranking in on the skewer to get it to close in the dropouts.. :? But it doesn't seem to hurt it... just strange.

ameybrook":1qj5dxem said:
I had the same problem with my 94 Lava Dome. I have a Ringle rear hub with a 135mm spacing, but I'm cranking in on the skewer to get it to close in the dropouts.. :? But it doesn't seem to hurt it... just strange.

Hmmmm, now you mention it my '92 Dome is similar. Maybe the years of force on the stays bends them or relaxes the bends?

Ahh brilliant i can stop worrying. i'll measure it all up tonight and then i can plan some sweet new wheels.

Back