Bargain Ebay bike lights

I've been adapting one of those 2million candlepower handheld torches to have a remote battery..

If I ever finish it I reckon it'll be mountable on the stem.. cable to a battery pack which could be velcro'd under the seat..

Couple of spares in a backpack (they are the small-ish lead acid units - not excessively heavy) and I reckon it'd be hard to beat (current cost is about a tenner, plus 2 spare batteries at about a fiver each)..

KeepItSteel":usfcfahk said:
I guaratee if someone started a 'money no object LED light' thread, then the same ones moaning on here would chip in with the ''why pay that much when you can spend £5?'' argument...
Well there's only one way to find out - be the ball, Johnny.

If you want to discuss "money no object LED lights" then start a thread about it.

I just dispute the relevance in a thread about bargain bucket priced lights.
KeepItSteel":usfcfahk said:
I dont really think the point was ever about relative costs, it was just a different point of view being offered.
And as we have now discovered, some of you dont like different points of view.
Personally, I've nothing against different points of view - I just don't get the sense in p1ssing on lamp-posts talking about high-end lights, on a thread about bargain basement lights.

You were wrong about swings and roundabouts - the trite cliche you want is apples and oranges.

kaiser":1umpxl86 said:
I always fancied building into an old ever ready plastic thing or a chrome 70's style lamp housing.
Now that's something I'd love to see - go to it.

Neil, that's your opinion on both the thread and it's subject. The thread is about bargain lights and has gone on for 15 pages. I was offering a different perspective. Again I will point out that the Trout is a bargain when compared to lights with similar (or lower outputs). It is not pissing on lamp posts at all and fits within the topic. Are we only allowed to discuss one particular product?? Not everyone would want to ride with these lights, some may be interested in higher performing products (some people consider items on Value for Money terms, Bang for Buck). If you are happy with your lights then fine, enjoy them, others might want a better alternative, allow them to speak, to have an opinion too just as you do. Are we so sensitive that we are not allowed to have something better? Do we resort to keying posh cars now because we can't afford them ourselves?.
Another thing I would like to point out about Troutie, he's a normal bloke working in his shed in a back garden in Yorkshire. Local companies make the casings and do the machining and anodizing. These are British made lights which have had a lot of thought put into them. They are competetivly priced against similar products made in the far east. For that alone I think the deserve a little mention in this thread.

Dr S":1hy6ewc0 said:
Neil, that's your opinion on both the thread and it's subject. The thread is about bargain lights and has gone on for 15 pages. I was offering a different perspective. Again I will point out that the Trout is a bargain when compared to lights with similar (or lower outputs). It is not pissing on lamp posts at all and fits within the topic. Are we only allowed to discuss one particular product?? Not everyone would want to ride with these lights, some may be interested in higher performing products (some people consider items on Value for Money terms, Bang for Buck). If you are happy with your lights then fine, enjoy them, others might want a better alternative, allow them to speak, to have an opinion too just as you do. Are we so sensitive that we are not allowed to have something better? Do we resort to keying posh cars now because we can't afford them ourselves?.
Another thing I would like to point out about Troutie, he's a normal bloke working in his shed in a back garden in Yorkshire. Local companies make the casings and do the machining and anodizing. These are British made lights which have had a lot of thought put into them. They are competetivly priced against similar products made in the far east. For that alone I think the deserve a little mention in this thread.
As to it being my opinion, damn straight. And I'm just as entitled to it as you are.

As to the relevance of £250 LED lights to a thread started about bargain bike lights on ebay (that are roughly a fiver each) - there's a huge order of magnitude in difference in price - I think to the point that most people who read the thread to start off with, and perhaps bought some of these lights, may well fail to see the relevance a product that's roughly 50x more expensive.

It's not about sensitivity, nor about inverted snobbery, it's just about relevance. Maybe you do actually believe there's some relevance in advocating a product costing £250 in a thread discussing lights costing around a fiver. In the same spirit of everybody being free to express their opinion, what's wrong with expressing the opinion on why it's not equitable to float the discussion of high(er) end lights on their own thread?

Before posting this I took counsel from Kofi Annan - better be prepared

Anyway.

Anyone else struggled to get the front light to clamp hard on your oversize bars?

i can't use the fat shim grip - too big

the thin one tightens but when i get the light installed it slips around

Baie dankie en totsiens

(cheers kofi)

IDB1":1sd1ssd9 said:
I've been adapting one of those 2million candlepower handheld torches to have a remote battery..

If I ever finish it I reckon it'll be mountable on the stem.. cable to a battery pack which could be velcro'd under the seat..

Couple of spares in a backpack (they are the small-ish lead acid units - not excessively heavy) and I reckon it'd be hard to beat (current cost is about a tenner, plus 2 spare batteries at about a fiver each)..

My mate had one of these
Fully charged battery lasted 15 mins.

trickylad":2qch25f8 said:
Before posting this I took counsel from Kofi Annan - better be prepared

Anyway.

Anyone else struggled to get the front light to clamp hard on your oversize bars?

i can't use the fat shim grip - too big

the thin one tightens but when i get the light installed it slips around

Baie dankie en totsiens

(cheers kofi)

You could try wrapping some insulation tape around the bars first. It should mean the clamp does up tighter and the rubber shim will grip the tape better than the aluminium of the bar.

dyna-ti":dumxp5eg said:
IDB1":dumxp5eg said:

My mate had one of these
Fully charged battery lasted 15 mins.

Before I started the cut'n'shut I got about 40mins, the last 10mins dropping off quite badly..

3 batteries, in series, on a belt pack (they're not overly heavy) would treble the burn time.

Latest posts

Back