Greetings all from another newbie

RetroHumberIan

Retro Newbie
Hi, I am Ian. Im 34 years of age and have not owned a bicycle for many years. Whilst walking past a river in a Welsh village recently, I discovered a Humber cycle thrown in a tree. It had clearly been there for many years and had a healthy green slimy coating on the original dark blue paintwork. Having spoken to the land owner, it was thrown there when he had a shed clearout many years ago. He told me I could have it and so it found itself taking pride of place in the boot of my wifes brand new Renault Scenic (That went down well)
The gears are date stamped 74 so this is obviously from when Humber were under Raleigh ownership but I will be restoring the bike and fitting earlier parts to personalise the bike to me own tastes. An oil bath chain guard has already been sourced and I plan to swop the front forks for the earlier twin fork items.
The bicycle will be refinished in either black or dark blue and will be finished to a high standard. My plan is to create something which looks really old but is also very useable every day. I know originality is some folks bag but everything I do to this bike will be reversible without any effect to the original frame etc.
Will keep you posted.......

Great stuff. May i be the first to say welcome and get some pictures up!

Trying to post up some pics..... here goes!

4999178381_3671f73247.jpg

4999786742_81e941669d.jpg

Could be a challenging if not rewarding restoration job!

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks. I have already got the frame stripped and primed and an original Humber oilbath chain guard. I have even sourced some decals and the rebuild is progressing well, will post up some more pics soon! Cant wait to get it out on the road and use it :D

Good stuff! If it is taking you hours to do a single part, I would sat try some of Bilt and Hamber's Deox C. You just make up a solution of the stuff and soak the parts. Makes clening/polishing a lot easier. The stuff is bio-degradable too.

Cool find. I'd have left it was it was and given it a damn good oil and grease and some new tyres and brake blocks :D

Should look good once you've painted it up.

Back