The GT STS Thread Members Bikes and Tech Info

Yeah its Gadro's old one which I bought from him a while ago, but the shock was well passed it and the service kits sold by Fox aren't compatible.

The other option was to run a Jekyl shock unit and mod the trunnion, which I'm looking at doing too :)

The bars are pretty secure with no swing back and forth, still early stages but it working. Hope Gadro doesn't mine its now a science project but its a good frame and I have the time and resources to give it a go :twisted:

ryohki":fb4snud5 said:
Yeah its Gadro's old one which I bought from him a while ago, but the shock was well passed it and the service kits sold by Fox aren't compatible.

The other option was to run a Jekyl shock unit and mod the trunnion, which I'm looking at doing too :)

Don't I know it. Mine is completely arsed, loses air in about three compresses, and I ordered the damn service kit which makes me the proud owner of about 6 useless rubber rings.

I bought a Jekyll shock too. I also have a trunnion for a rock shox coupe deluxe and was looking at the 'Schwinn 4 Banger' fox shock which looks to have a similar thread to that one... if you have any info that'd be sweet.

Any idea how you will find a tap big enough, or another clever idea, to tap out the bigger thread in the trunnion? (actually I was thinking of trying to re-thread the casing of the shock on a lathe...)

I've got the old trunnion to play with so going to have a chat with the engineers in my department to see if they have any ideas on retapping for the Jekyll unit, will let you know :)

ryohki":1gx1a8aa said:
I've got the old trunnion to play with so going to have a chat with the engineers in my department to see if they have any ideas on retapping for the Jekyll unit, will let you know :)

Excellent! I'll be taking my bits to 'the lab' in just over a week's time too, to see if the techy geeks in there can think of anything smart!

ryohki":1ycp5wdl said:

Making a new thread for the Jekyll shock is not a problem as long as you have access to a lathe and the right cutting bit.. Ive had it done to a spare trunion mount for the cheapest possible jekyll shock i found on ebay years ago. The shock itself doesnt hold air, and im quite heavy at 105kg, but the modification itself is not a problem.

Good luck.

New (old) STS-1000 DS

Greetings, all.

Just joined retrobike, but I've been reading for a while, particularly this thread, because I've been wanting a "new" bike and the thermoplastic GTs tickled my fancy. Finally got one today, STS-1000 DS, pretty much all original. I'd like to keep it as original as possible, but some things (e.g., front brake) will have to be upgraded. Otherwise I'm just going to clean it up, make sure everything's in good working shape, and enjoy the heck out of it.

My first order of business will be to replace the seat stay pivot screws. The previous owner lost them and replaced them with (SAE) machine bolts. Fortunately he used washers so the bolts heads didn't mangle the screw head recesses, but the bolts did mash the first 1/4" or so of the pivot spindle threads. I think I'll be safe using the proper M8 flat head cap screws, only a little longer than original spec to get past the damaged threads.

The previous owner says the rear shock (orig. super deluxe) was recently rebuilt, and it looks to be fine. The fork seems a little squishy; I don't know if I can dial it in as is or if it needs something more. I'd like to keep the original fork if possible.

I don't think keeping the original Rock Shox front disc brake will be an option. I'd be happy to replace it with something like an Avid BB7... I just want functionality and I don't want to spend a fortune on hydraulics. Can anyone tell me if this would be a straightforward upgrade? (I know I'll have to replace the hub/wheel to accommodate the standard 6-screw disc mount).

I don't intend to sink a lot of money into this bike... I just want to keep it in clean, good working order. I'm a bit of a cheepskate and this bike appealed to me because it was a gorgeous bike at an attractive price...

I've learned a lot from this forum and I look forward to learning more. I'll post some pics soon...

Cheers!

In regards to the ruined hardware, www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk is the place to go.

As for the sts frame itself, check the areas where the aluminium lugs meet the thermoplastic thouroughly, these frames are infamous for breaking around the BB, or if you have an earlier sts frame without the wraparound style headtube, by the headtube. My first sts-1 died there, but i was lucky enough to find a sts-2 to replace it.

As for components, you dont have to fork out a fortune on hydraulic disk brakes, there are cheap ones nowadays that cost as little as cable ones used to, which has more power and better feel than avid cable ones. Personally i always buy hope, i think its worth the extra money.

Regardless, i hope you enjoy the best looking bike ever having been made! Good find!

Thanks grimm,

I don't think the spindle is necessarily ruined. The spindle is threaded all the way thru, and only the first 12mm or so is mashed. If I get 24mm or longer screws (12mm is spec.), then it should be fine.

I'll have to give hydraulics some further thought, however the BB7s are highly rated and I like the simplicity of mechanicals.

Pix

Here are "before" pics of the bike, since it looks like most of the guys posting on this thread have forgotten what an original STS looks like ;)

2cxvk00.jpg

4m1ao.jpg

Dayam!

Just noticed, looking at Gadro's first post in this thread, that I've even got the original tires on the bike! :D

Latest posts

Back