Which Model is my Carlton???

tankbullock

Dirt Disciple
Hi. I have just bought a Carlton, which I Believe to be mid to late 50's. Frame number F2696 with the frame number and the Nervex lug numbers on the underside of the frame beneath the downtube. The problem is the orignal transfers have virtually worn off so I can't tell which model it is.

Are there any Carlton experts around here who can help???

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

Hi, I would take a guess at mid sixties, as the wrapover stay and centrepull rear hanger came in about then. The top end carlton serial numbers did go a bit strange in the late sixties, which would explain the 'F' prefix. As for the model you need some catalogs from that era, there is carlton bike close to your example at http://old_school_cycles.tripod.com/id4.html Thanks Terry

Were Carlton still custom building bikes then? I was thinking that rather than being a catalogued model, it might be a one off...

It looks cracking btw :D

The rear ends makes it look later with the all in one mech hanger. I'm no expert but most bikes of that genré made in the fifties had long ends with bolt on mech hangers.

More info.
An F prefix would suggest 1957/1958. However it has a Worksop headbadge and that dates it to after 1962'ish. Then different numbering came into use and and frames with an F prefix are estimated to be 1970/1971.

Like I say I'm no expert, but I was trying to find out the age of my Claud as that had many discrepancies.

There is a good Carlton website BTW.

Around 1971 Prime de Course I suspect... great looking machine. The Nervex head lugs in chrome is very classy.

Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit more clued up anda bit more confused at the same time. I have found the Carlton website which is brill but the chap has stopped running it now so I can't pick his expert brain for an actual model.

Seems like it might be more like a 60's bike then. Maybe it was a custom build? Hmmm. I'll keep digging as I'd love to find out a bit more so I can get the right transfers for it.

The headset looks like raleigh to me.
Also the cheap hollow wrapover seat cluster is a type Carlton did on a number of raleighs.
Are the bottom bracket and fork column 26 tpi? (raleigh own thread)
Campagnolo fork ends were commonly fitted from the mid 1950's.

keithglos":bmvg6xim said:
The headset looks like raleigh to me.
Also the cheap hollow wrapover seat cluster is a type Carlton did on a number of raleighs.
Are the bottom bracket and fork column 26 tpi? (raleigh own thread)
Campagnolo fork ends were commonly fitted from the mid 1950's.

You are totally wrong my friend, I also resent the cheap wrap over nonsense as someone who appreciates the Carlton mark you are talking out of your arse.

After digging around Im now pretty sure this is a 1971 Contre La Montre. So my initial guess was wrong. In my view a top notch cycle, fantastic detailing and quality - still very much a Carlton... Nothing cheap or nasty about this machine.

I look forward to seeing more images - please! :)

Latest posts

Back