MOTOR CHAT

mikee":2cjb19lv said:
lawerance of arabia's bike
first to do 125mph or so in the right tune
If memory serves he died on one too. :(

I was looking for "the Rolls-Royce of Motorcycles". Which I always felt was incorrect, if a comparison was to be made with any contemporary vehicle, it'd have to be a Bentley (before Rolls-Royce snaffled them up in the 30s).

Is it wrong that I find myself strangely drawn to the plastic-fantasticness of the original? Have to say, the 'new' bike does look good, shame there isn't more detail on the actual work.

aye a few more build pics would be nice, I find myself drawn to these more and more. Maybe give one a go after the bike stuff wears off.

I'd love to get hold of a Rickman Matisse Scrambler one day. No more slogging up hills in granny gear to get my kicks.

Had a bonza score on eBay today. Over the last few weeks I have been researching and drawing up lists of authentic parts for my GT40 project. Many parts came from different places (ie. Marchall headlights from a Citroen fitted into Vauxhall Viva HB mounts, and wiper assembly out of a Boeing airliner) on the original factory built cars and it's a big job sourcing them.
One part I though I would never find was the Identification lights fitted to the 68 Le Mans cars. Each car had different colours so the team could recogonise it's cars going past in the dark at 180mph. My research showed that they were an MOD item and were fitted to Spitfires in WW2. Not exactly something you would find at Halfords then.
So, today, Battle of Britain Day, I had a look on eBay and found a brand new pair still in unopened MOD packages. Even better they had a BIN of just £17.99.

Some days you just get lucky!

velomaniac":mc4izqg0 said:
In my typically weird fashion I rather like Panther Sloper type classic bikes. famouse for hauling sidecars and leaking oil all over the place.
http://www.pantherownersclub.com/PantherPage/
In a similar vein, my 'dream bike' as a youngster was a Cotton Python: The perfect union of the Cotton “triangulated frame” (precursor to the GT?) and Rudge's big 500 single.

Bit like this one (looks more like a 250).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alternativ ... 895144553/

Back