restoring to use. Qs and dilemas

oldgit

Retro Guru
I have my 69/70 Claud Super Five frame to restore and build.
I want to use this as my every day winter hack and general riding bike. The frame WILL need to be painted, but I was thinking of powder coating in ink blue and using incorrect gold decals.
I'm also looking at removing the fork lamp bracket fitting.
I'm guessing the frame is of no value so these alterations wont be of any issue at all.

I also want to keep the Stronglight 49D single and run it five speed. Can spare rings still be bought?

Pretty well all else will be original or of the time i.e Weinmann 999 centre pulls a bit of Campag a Brooks and GB stem. Which brings me tomy next question. The GB stem I have is basic with the 'proud nuts' would this be 25.4 as I'd like some wider bars.

Thanks.

Personally I'd keep the fork lamp fitting. A lamp fitted low (in addition to one on the bars) is really good at picking out lumps and holes on the road which tend to go flat in a light from above. The pool of light cast by a low lamp is really long rather than a round spot.

I would imagine the GB stem would be 25.4mm clamp - does it match any of these?:

http://velobase.com/ListComponents.aspx ... 23275d4c9a

As for the lamp bracket, x2 for keeping it on. I thought about having mine taken off when I got the Argos resprayed in the interests of a clean look - I left it in the end and I wouldn't say it detracts, plus I can run a light down there when it gets to winter.

I'd keep the fork mount too, just plug the thread with an old bolt when it's powdercoated, nothing adds a bit o'vintage charm more than a nice shiny chrome fork light mounting

I love these old mounts. They are characterful and add period charm as peeps have said....

Damn useful too!

P8130078.jpg

oldgit":3vso4wru said:
I also want to keep the Stronglight 49D single and run it five speed. Can spare rings still be bought?

Spa cycles sell the old style TA Cyclotourist rings which fit the Stronlight 49D.

Err I removed the lamp bracket and pump pegs.
I did mention that I wanted to use this a lot, I'm also aiming to keep it as period as possible but not necessarily original.
I wanted to use a frame fit pump i.e one that wedges in the frame and the rear peg would have been in the way.hence it went.
The lamp boss was a tough decision, but the cleaner lines look great.

The colour won't be original either. My first choice is a green as close as possible to that on the lovely Brookes in readers bikes care of 'Classic Lightweights'.
If the painter can't manage that then a very very dark flam blue.
Plus I intend to use Claud Butler scroll rather than block.

BTW a massive thank you to everyone on here. I've got huge problems at home and this little project helps one keep sane.
Thank you.

johhnyp":3nkrdjlh said:
oldgit":3nkrdjlh said:

Spa cycles sell the old style TA Cyclotourist rings which fit the Stronlight 49D.

I've got a stash of the single rings. Any idea what size you want?

Cheers Old Ned, though it really depends on my legs. It has a 46t at the moment which is probably ideal for five speed use.
If the Chilterns prove too much in 46 I'll go to 42 like I used years ago.

Back