'76 Arena, before & after

jawsum":386mjm8a said:
how many $'s do you want? have you got a pic of it in situ ?

also, what happened to that child seat type thingy? i might like to purchase that if it was going spare

it's on the purple bike earlier in the thread if you look carefully, £10 posted. I can chuck the seat thingy in, it's not very nice condition - it may be in the bin TBH! :oops: :LOL:

There's some good work being done there... is that a clean break through the top tube on the Olympus? Ouch.

Keep them pictures coming, this is the kind of thread that I will spend ages reading when I should be fettling my own bikes!

Goldie":2q9zw0nc said:
There's some good work being done there... is that a clean break through the top tube on the Olympus? Ouch.

Keep them pictures coming, this is the kind of thread that I will spend ages reading when I should be fettling my own bikes!

Goldie - a hole through the red frame you mean? no (it does look like it!) but it's in a really bad state so I might have to retire it (though the 26TPI forks and headset are in good nick luckily!), it's the purple frame I had blasted... the sprayer should be finished now so will get some pics up, and start another thread about it.

jawsum - did the dynamo work ok mate?

I sort of stumbled into miniature Raleigh racer ownership myself (lie in, Sunday monring, computer was within reach, I thought "I'll just have a quick look on ebay..."

I ended up with this Raleigh Pacer in fairly short order. Not as much charm as the Olympus or Arena, but very very red. I'm glad to see the spider's web chain wheel lasted into the eighties - I kind of like it...

DSC02464.jpg

DSC02463.jpg

DSC02460.jpg

Dead rats - how's your rebuild coming on?

that's a cute machine! mine's been painted but I haven't collected it yet, got loads of parts ready for it, toying with single speed but most likely to go with 5.

whereabouts in Manchester are you? maybe we should meet up? my lass is gonna ride the Raleigh, I'd be either on my Banana or the Sun as I'm 6'2" :LOL:

Great effort! Credit to you for the time and effort you must've put in.

Like the little red Raleigh too. Seem to recall most people I knew had a small racer like this in their early teens, in between BMXs being too small and Mountain Bikes becoming popular.

John":2quc91iw said:
Great effort! Credit to you for the time and effort you must've put in.

Like the little red Raleigh too. Seem to recall most people I knew had a small racer like this in their early teens, in between BMXs being too small and Mountain Bikes becoming popular.

Likewise John, I had a series of Raleighs including a Pursuit and a Criterium 501 between the final BMX and the first MTB.

Nice thread this, very much looking forward to getting my '70s Raleigh done (along with the larger Sun Worksop which is being painted by the same chap). The Raleigh's much too small for me so will either go to my girlfriend, for Xmas, or find a new home.

Dead Rats":1y1hc92h said:
Likewise John, I had a series of Raleighs including a Pursuit and a Criterium 501 between the final BMX and the first MTB.

Ahh, I could only dream of a Pursuit or even a Raleigh, a couple of mates had one. Seem to recall I had a 5 speed Royal Enfield purchased second hand. Did Raleigh not do a Vector-esque road bike with the little computer on the top tube? Or did I imagine that?

John":moqf5fyh said:
Dead Rats":moqf5fyh said:

Ahh, I could only dream of a Pursuit or even a Raleigh, a couple of mates had one. Seem to recall I had a 5 speed Royal Enfield purchased second hand. Did Raleigh not do a Vector-esque road bike with the little computer on the top tube? Or did I imagine that?

Hmmm dunno, sounds very 1985 that does! :LOL: rode my Pursuit into the ground way after I'd grown out of it. I experimented with TT bars too :roll: and used the 'offcuts' as a central bar extensions (got my Dad to weld them together and make me a clamping assembly). Oh dear! The Criterium was a nice bike, if a bit big at 25" though. Funnily enough I saw a Pursuit in my town centre only yesterday, same year and everything, but converted to fixed :x

Back