YST Threadless Bottom Bracket, any good?

lclements

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
So my LBS told me today that the fixed cup thread in my bb shell is knackered :( , and since I've only just finished this bike (green and red carlton fixie), I can't face ditching the frame.

I've heard about the Mavic threadless, and that they are impossible to find but I've found a YST one on ebay. It's pretty cheap but may get me out of trouble.

Has anyone used on of these before? Are they any good?
Cheers for the help, here is a link to one (there are differing lengths):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YST-125mm-Thr...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4cf139470d

Luke

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
yea a mate of mine used one and its been fine. He recently used the same bike on the Lands End to John O Groats ride with no problems.

Quality varies, I've had one that lasted ages on a Kona Lava Dome, then again I bought one from a LBS & never used it, took it out the box some time later to find play in the axle & it had never been fitted!
Good luck

hopefully this is of the last forever variety :p I did ring the ebay shop owner and he sounded pretty confident with them and that he used one himself, so I will wait and see.
Luke

I didn't have a very good experience with the one I fitted to my girlfriend's Raleigh. It kept coming loose, even with threadlock and tightened as far as I could do it. Every time it came loose I had to remove the cranks to tighten it up, which eventually buggered up the taper holes. The bike was used for about 10-15 miles a day, it needed tightening once every three or four weeks so after about six months I sent it back.

Replaced it with a Velo Orange Grand Cru which was smoother and didn't come loose. Even if it had come loose, you can tighten it with a lockring spanner without removing the cranks.

In defence of the YST, it was installed in a 70mm shell rather than a 68mm shell, so that could possibly have been why it kept coming loose. I'd say it caught at least 90% of the threads though.

Sorry to bump this up, but figured the information might be useful at some point :)

I did end up fitting my threadless YST bottom bracket, however I did it on the cheap... Rather than using 2 splined BB tools, I used 1. It worked absolutely fine and it hasn't come loose or moved yet.
Secondly, I didn't use a proper 45 degree facing tool, but rather a bunch of filing with some small diamond files. Tbh, as long as you file fairly evenly and knock any high points down the bb should sit fine.
All in all, using this cheap fix worked well, so anyone with a knackered BB shell might want to try this before getting new shell threads put in etc...

One note is that the bike is fixed wheel, which possibly makes it a harder test on the BB... still, it works fine so I'm happy :)

Sorry about the bump again,
Luke

If this comes up again... I have the Mavic/YST/Schlumpf tool for chamfering the BB shell. Willing to lend :)

IMG_7645.jpg

All the best,

Waking up this old thread :)

Time might have come to use this tool. My Holdsworth BB shell threads aren't in good shape and the cheapest and quickest solution is the YST BB.

Still have this tool, and as for lending, still up for the offer? Of course if we can manage the hand over :)

Re:

Sure, Anidel..tool's still available for lending.

PM your address and I can send it.
It's a pricey tool, so I usually ask for a deposit, then just take the shipping off when the tool's returned.

All the best,

Back