Highpath advice sought please. Just bought one in Edinburgh

one-eyed_jim":3nw340mf said:
What an amazing find!

Do you know how the vendor came by it?

Just heard back from the guy who sold it to me. Astonishingly he found it chucked out in a bin in Edinburgh last November. He thought that he could maybe get it back on the road, but being a student didn't have the funds to do this, so it just sat in the common stairwell from then to now gathering dust.

somerled":3b961yb1 said:
Just heard back from the guy who sold it to me. Astonishingly he found it chucked out in a bin in Edinburgh last November. He thought that he could maybe get it back on the road, but being a student didn't have the funds to do this, so it just sat in the common stairwell from then to now gathering dust.

Wow, did you tell him, there are people biting your arm off for it?

Hi folks,

just thought that I'd update you on the 'Highpath'.

Well it is now stripped down, documented and cleaned and inspected. I'm happy to report that all is well with it and nothing much is lost or broken.

The Shimano Megarange cassette is in perfect nick as is the Suntour MicroDrive crankset.

I'm going to get it built back up in the next few weeks.

I have also sourced the ulra rare and original Nokia Hakkapeliitta studded snow tyres as well as a nice set of new Nokia SL-35's

I'm still pondering what sort of handlebars to fit so sugestions are welcome.

cheers

somerled":36dru930 said:
I have also sourced the ulra rare and original Nokia Hakkapeliitta studded snow tyres as well as a nice set of new Nokia SL-35's

You're a legend!
This bike deserves to be done properly.

Re. the bars:
I'm sure there are photos of Geoff Apps using bars that look very similar to CW BMX bars. The lower rise versions for mini/ expert or cruiser class, rather than the 10-inch tall versions.

Similar to the ones on Dave Wrath-Sharman's bike:
http://www.63xc.com/dws/hubbrake.htm

And on here:

http://www.james-walters.net/cleland/cleland-06.html

Your bike looks like it had an adjustable stem raised up high. Probably used with flat bars. I guess that achieves a similar riding position to the Cleland "BMX STYLE" stem and bars, but it's not quite in-keeping.

Maybe Highpath Engineering or DW-S could advise you or even fabricate some bars?

Yep, you really are very lucky :D

Probably more so that you found our site before the bike got stripped ;)

Thanks for the advice guys.

Here are some pics. The Highpath is cleaning up well.

Attachments

• 100914_152711.jpg
    100914_152711.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,412
  • 100914_152801.jpg
    100914_152801.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,412
  • 100915_110358.jpg
    100915_110358.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,412
  • 100915_110410.jpg
    100915_110410.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,413
This is my Highpath' Cleland. Photographed back in 1988. Highpaths were made to order and mine was intended to cope with touring in the south of England's winter mud.

The handle bars are Highpath's adjustable ones. However the friction plates moved and under heavy use they metal-fatigued and cracked. So I replaced them with the fixed Highpath bars that remain on the bike to this day.

Attachments

• HighpathNew.jpg
    HighpathNew.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 1,391
Love it Somerled, that is one cracking find, the racks are amazing, one hell of a rough stuff tourer.

Have fun rebuilding it and most importantly enjoy riding it!

i believe in fixies":12etkfss said:
Love it Somerled, that is one cracking find, the racks are amazing, one hell of a rough stuff tourer.

Have fun rebuilding it and most importantly enjoy riding it!

Thanks, I sure am enjoying sourcing parts and working on it.

The rear rack was made specially by the man himself, Dave Wrath-Sharman and is thing of absolute beauty. The front rack was retrofitted by the previous owner, but is still a nice bit of kit.

What an amazing find! Why didn't I pick-up on this thread earlier?
As a trials rider, you will appreciate the riding position of the Cleland design, as that is its heritage.
An original Aventura recently sold for £900.
Where did you find those Speed Hakkapeliitta tyres?
Handlebars? I'd get DWS to make some new ones for you. If not, anything that gives you the stance of a trials bike.
When it is ready, you must come down to the Borders for a ride.
I assume you've accessed www.clelandcycles.wordpress.com
BTW I know that the GasGas account is not about cooking and heating.
I look forward to reading about the HighPath's restoration.

Back