The death of "Upgrades"

Joe

Retro Guru
In one of the other threads my memory of some of the obscure upgrades was stirred. As a perpetual gear-head I used to do things like buy up-rated springs to beef-up the rear-mech - anyone else remember those. They were a gorgeous tempered blue spring steel also available in various powder-coats.

I wonder if there's a purple set in the parents shed....

I have a "RAW Powerspring" installed in my XT rear mech which helps enormously when using Gripshift as it pulls the mech towards the higher gears through dirty cable outers which can affect gripshift more than other gear shifters. Seem to remember it being a bugger to fit!

Isn't a blue ano though. Just normal steel colour :cry:

I remember one of the mechanics use to always lose some skin off his fingers when fitted break away bolts. Always entertaining to watch :twisted:

Up Grade

Can't agree more, I am well on with the process of replacing everything on one of my bikes with Ti for load bearing and Anodised ally for non load bearing. Ceramic balls in the Hubs (hate cartridge bearings!!!) Ti' Axles. Amazing how much weight you can save too, not to mention not just better looks, but more functional too.

Back