mk1 burner restoration - from start to finish

jax13

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After a spate of careless whimsicalness in the various sales sections, I acquired a pretty run down mk1 burner from terry (earl hickey) late last month. When it arrived (exactly as described) It had a stuck seatpost that someone tried to remove badly, odd wheels, knackered tyres and dodgy black paint randomly splattered on various bits of it. For something that looked so badly mistreated, It screamed potential!

bikebefore1.jpg

badburner1.jpg

First job was to break the bike down.... handlebars and stem came off first, then the wheels, then the chain. next came the seatpost (I left the forks on just in case i needed the extra leverage!)

burnerseatpost.jpg

The seatpost was stuck. Not only this but a previous attempt to remove it seemed to involve mangling it out of all proportion so that it was well and truly jammed! so, frame in the vice, forks used as a brace against the bench and I set to it. A large set of stilson grips on the top of the post, a large bolt dropped down inside to stop excess crushing on the tube and a 4' length of scaffolding pole cracked it loose in no time, it was turning easily but with the mangling of the prior attempt, it wouldn't come out. The next bit is a don't try this at home moment....... I welded a 3" long chunk of 1/2" box section to the top of the post and battered the crap out of it until the post came free, gently tapping the top of the tube to keep it in shape. End result, Cameron 1 - 0 Seatpost (with no chance of being useful to anyone for anything ever again!!!)

with the seatpost free i dropped the forks out, took the crank off and started to clean & polish everything.

crankbefore1.jpg

barsbefore.jpg

forkbefore.jpg

forkbefore2.jpg

the bars and stem are pretty rough despite this so are going to need to be painted for the final build, they will be black but as yet, i'm unsure whether to go for a gloss or matt finish (probably gloss with it being an 80's bike.) To clean the frame, i soaked it in a thin aerosol gun oil that i use to act as a lubricant and started scraping away dead paint, sticky bits and small rust patches. Time consuming but worth it. Next, fine wire wool and brasso, finally, a trip to the kitchen sink for a wash & degrease in hot soapy water. I am pretty happy with the way the frame and forks have turned out, after a second seeing to with wire wool and brasso, it'll be another de-grease (with meths this time) then a rust treatment followed by a couple of coats of laquer.

cleanedbar.jpg

cleanfork1.jpg

frameclean1.jpg

cleanparts.jpg

The crank arms were also painted in the same black gunk as the bars, the problem with these is that they too are beyond a good polish so I am going to have to resort to spraying them black along with the bars and stem.

bikebefore2.jpg

crankclean.jpg

Next on the to-do list was to find some better wheels, a set of black skyways in the sales section were too tempting for my own good and a cheque was sent off for them, the existing wheels (an original front and a random rear) will probably end up on ebay to recover a little bit of the cost of the new plastic ones although, in their current condition they won't fetch a whole lot of cash.

badburnerwheel.jpg

once the wheels were sorted, I needed to work out how I was going to stop! one of my LBS's stock a lot of second hand gear along with various NOS treasures and I managed to leave with a full set of brakes, levers and cables for £12!!! along with a layback seatpost to replace the knackered one and a new (sorry, couldn't find a proper one!) black plastic saddle for a joint fee of £8!.

newoldparts.jpg

Progress has halted now until i get hold of the wheels and some laquer, new grips are coming my way and i need to source some pedals & fins correct size replacement bearings for the BB and headset. once these are all in place I will be back with part 2!!!

part 2..... and completion is here! (apologies for the poor pics, hopefully the sun will come out tomorrow and i can get some half decent ones!)
burner.jpg

after the stripping down I used grey primer & black gloss from a rattlecan on the crank arms, chainring, stem & bars followed by a couple of coats of laquer.

once this was done it was time for a re-build. I took a risk & laquered the chrome frame in a bid to try and protect the finish from further pitting, it isn't perfect and it has already started to chip very slightly BUT it can be easily removed in the future if needed!

the last touch was a set of original (although unfortunately missing the reflectors) raleigh skyways.

burner1.jpg

burner2.jpg

burner3.jpg

burner4.jpg

unfortunately, as this was only a project I cannot justify keeping despite how much I want to and so need to sell it on. It will be in the BMX for sale section on here for a couple of weeks but after that, its going to have to go on ebay!

liking the black/chrome combo.

my long departed super tuff burner has returned to the fold, and i can't really afford to have it restored to it's former glory right now, but as a shop/pub shuttle, i'm thinking i like the direction yours took

ta

Well I actually posted it off to its new home today - couldn't justify keeping it along with the rest of the stable as it would get next to nothing in the way of use.

The resto is more time consuming than difficult but the one thing I slipped up with was not baking the painted metalwork. Regardless of the prep and finish any paint chips easily without a bit of time in the oven, for the bigger bits it could be worth talking to your local pub chef to see if he will bake the frame and bars for a little back hander!

Back