1950 (maybe) Claud Butler - help me identify it!

lae

Retro Guru
Hi

A while ago I got a Claud Butler frameset off of ebay. The seller said it was possibly a Club International, but referencing the frame number gave it a production date of 1950.

Here's how it was when I received it:
78214940.jpg

Sanding back the brush-painted finish, I did find some traces of the CB double-box pinstriping in yellow and white, as well as some yellow/white pinstriping on the top of the seatstays.

You can see half of the two-part Reynolds stem that came with it. I guess this was so that the owner could swap handlebars without removing the handlebar tape, so long as you've got another handlebar set with a second top-piece bolted on.
Unfortunately it was broken so I swapped it for the Spearpoint (which just needed a quick buzz with the TIG welder on a small crack).

Here's how it is now (yes, it's fixed, don't kill me I just want to enjoy it on a student budget and I had all the parts lying around!)
dsc000662.jpg

I do plan on restoring it lightly and doing some light touring on it. It's comfortable and I like the rat-look and the way that the light plays off of the patina on the clearcoated steel finish. My favourite thing is that you can see the original Claud Butler script logos on the downtube, outlined in nice patina.

Can't helpyou ID it but it looks lovely, both in battered as bought state and singlespeed.

Hi there,
Cant help you with the model name but if it's a 1950 the frame number will start with a 50 then the third number is the month of manufacture - say 505 being May 1950 - then the rest is the sequential build number...

Very nice bike though - similar to my 1950 CB - even the 'silly brake levers' as some have described them ha ha...

Well Done!

M.

Thanks for the kind words!

I'm not really sure what to do with this bike. It's too expensive and impractical for a university/commuter bike and I already have a singlespeed beater for that. But I tried going over the Dales on saturday and what used to be a pleasant day's cycling on my old road bike turned into a nightmare on this. Converting it into the audax/fast tourer that I'd originally planned would be expensive and it'd probably be cheaper to just buy another bike... grumble.

So I suppose I'm after a cheap vintage groupset if anyone can help, preferably with a triple chainring. It doesn't have to be period correct but I'd like something that looks nice! I'll be painting it soon too, probably either a light cool grey or a metallic grey-green.

Do you need a whole groupset or could you just put on a 5 speed freewheel and a vintage-looking derailleur? Ebay is littered with stuff like that for peanuts.

I guess you've still got the problem of the value and it being stolen. Not much you can do about that other than get some big locks.

Stupidly I've just remembered that I've got a 1960s Cyclo rear derailler and 5-speed block in the garage - it's not perfect but it'll sort-of-match! And I've got a back brake and another aero lever too.

I need a band-on shifter and a chainset (and a couple of clamp-on cable stops as this frame annoying doesn't have any braze-ons at all). With a small chainring I reckon 5 speeds would be enough for very light touring. Loaded up 65" is good for a cruising gear and I'd only want a high gear of 80 or so... perhaps a 44 or 42 chainring and I'll have a low of about 40".

I'll eventually go for some normal brake levers - the aero ones look nice IMO, but with no hoods to rest on, there's only one hand position in which you can reach the brakes, and it's pretty low and uncomfortable.

Then add some mudguards, a rack (both of which I have) and I'll make some nice cream cotton panniers. The only other thing it needs is paint - I was thinking either a light cool grey or a metallic grey-green, with some repro decals.

It's not gonna be locked up anywhere, like I said I've got a beater for commuting on, and locks which are literally worth more than the bike for that!

gearing bits

hi there love the old cb!

don't no whether you are interested but i have a six sppeed free wheel and sachs huret front/rea mechs plus band on shifters? all nice and shiney and the rear has good jockey wheels.

would only want £15 posted for the lot.

let me know either way, adam.

Back