Best way to post a bike?

dano1980

Dirt Disciple
apparently parcelforce dont deal with parcels bigger than 1.5 metres long- most bike boxes are longer than this. does anyone know of a cheap/easy way of sending bikes?

:)

I just sent one to australia with Parcel2go.com - quite simple to do, cheap and they collect from your house. I know others have used these people. I can only speak from my one experience and it was fine.

i just sent 1 using interparcel - went via city link - cost £28 inc. vat for next day delivery. They collect it from your house too. It would be cheaper with a normal bike though - i sent a dh bike which packaged weighed 21kg which is quite a lot!!

dano1980":252msb35 said:
apparently parcelforce dont deal with parcels bigger than 1.5 metres long- most bike boxes are longer than this. does anyone know of a cheap/easy way of sending bikes?

:)

I've posted at least 4 bike boxes by parcelforce and they've never had an issue. Is this a new rule? The most recent was sent about 3 months ago :?

i have just double checked and my bike box is under 1.5 metres after all. so will probably use parcelforce. thanks for the help guys.

never had a problem with parcelforce either taking it to a depot or booking an online collection-posted one two weeks ago collected from house no problems
just make sure its in a std bike box well padded and spacers in the fork end to stop crushing
local bike shops and halfords seem happy to give you a box as they only chuck em away if lucky you will even find the spacers in the box
48 hour del and £200 insurance was £22 or £26 cant remember exactly

I've cut bike boxes down before for ease of travelling by plane. In my experience they're usually way too big for a bike once a few parts have been removed and juggled around.

Just make sure you use plenty of padding, I've received a few things with scraped pieces of metal sticking of ripped holes... :cry:

parcel force say it has to be less than 1.5m long and combined length and girth should be under 3m. i couldnt send mine via parcel force - the girth was just over 2m and 1.35m long - therefore over the 3m combined rule? dunno though - you may get away with it!
bike box sizes do vary though...

Back