The Zaskar 'Panda'... Update for 2013

Finished it up as much as i can (time and money for now). it's a mix of old and new as that's what i wanted.

This is a rider, not a wallpiece so took it out for a spin by the grand union at some ungodly hour this morning. I love the ride. light, fast and responsive.

Embarrassingly never properly ridden a bike with front suss before (my RTS was mainly shed-bound)

Thought i'd share a few pics with you all.

First up, who can spot the Zaskar? hehehehehe

IMG_3013.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

big nod of thanks to gil m who patiently sorted me the custom version of the 92/93 decals.

ed - thanks for the forks & lgf thanks for the bike

my daughters call it the 'Panda' bike. I'm sure you lot will come up with worse

;)

Really nice modern looking take on the Zaskar there. I must say, I love those custom decals. I was never a fan of that particular font for the Zaskar sticker, but it just works on this bike.

I had hoped that I wouldnt like it. Sorry, but I dont do modern stuff on a period frame.

But, somehow, it works. I like it. I like the decals especially. Genius idea.

Well done on trying something different and pulling it off.

Works for me - however, I do have one point of observation, the forks may be a wee bit too long for the frame, it would have been designed for ones with less travel. It messes with the geometry and handling.

legrandefromage":2cmzcttf said:
Works for me - however, I do have one point of observation, the forks may be a wee bit too long for the frame, it would have been designed for ones with less travel. It messes with the geometry and handling.

glad you like it LGF

agree re the forks. if i lock them out then it starts to what i think you call 'tramlining'. with the forks on full boingy setting it's purposeful and not twitchy.

going to take it to swinley forest and give it a run. if the forks don't work then i think i'll be looking for some black 80mm travel ones.

kaytronika":2r0nj21z said:
Really nice modern looking take on the Zaskar there. I must say, I love those custom decals. I was never a fan of that particular font for the Zaskar sticker, but it just works on this bike.

thanks. i spent far too long trying to work out what direction to do the decals but when i saw Nick C's kona a light bulb switched on

:shock: :!: :idea: :cool:

Pickle":2in30a40 said:
I had hoped that I wouldnt like it. Sorry, but I dont do modern stuff on a period frame.

But, somehow, it works. I like it. I like the decals especially. Genius idea.

Well done on trying something different and pulling it off.

Thanks Jon. Appreciate your candidness as always. :LOL:

I didn't think the decals idea i had would work but Gil pulled it out of the bag.

It's now a neo retro 'homage' to the zaskar. the decals mean that i'm not trying to pass it off as a period restoration. but don't want to ignore it's past.

but i promise. sit yourself in the driving seat and you'll recognise it.

not bad for a 13yr old bike. ;)

I think it's the forks that are not doing it for me...

I'm not that keen on the sparsity but it doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would.. :cool:

Back