Weinmann center-pull Quick Release - earliest example?

LeicaLad

Dirt Disciple
Attached is a 1971 version, the first (known) of three versions, of a quick-release for Weinmann center-pull brakes.

Does anyone know of earlier examples or references, be it catalogue or otherwise, to such a QR device for center-pull brakes?

Stories are good, references or scans of such even better, of course.

Many thanks,

Owen W

000aweinQR1st.jpg

Memories are fallible, but in 1959 I brazed on a front Weinmann and put the QR on the right side of the steel handlebar extension, took the cable round a mafac pulley (Alex Singer style) and terminated the cable on the other side of the extension.
2 6mm nuts on the front of the fork blades, and it resulted in a much better front brake.

I almost think I understand.

Was this a jerry-rig or production version?

Actually, I am trying to know the history of these specific Weinmann QR units. This one appears in a 1971 catalog, but I'm seeking any earlier reference to this unit OR if any other prior examples exist.

Thanks.

I'm sure they were available before this date as I've got a very rusty one in my 'collection' and I would have acquired it in the 60's. Weinmann CP's were on the market in the late 50's so the QR's could have been around then.

Have you looked in Velobase website?

Greetings, and Thanks.

No, there is nothing in the Velobase catalog on these.

Could you be so kind as to post an image of the one you have?

The memory is definitely appreciated. Any effort at specificity would be really appreciated.

Thank you, again.

LL, I definitely had the QR Weinmann in 1959, possibly earlier.
To eliminate the bendy backplate I brazed 2 6mm nuts on the front edge of the forks. The pulley doubled the leverage from the brake lever to the brake, which made the QR even more necessary to get the wheel out. The bike had fairly large wheel clearance, which weakened the brake performance.
I was also no stranger to the foot behind the fork crown brake system.

Back