New not-really-retro Roadie project..Merlin content

:LOL: Fair point Gareth ;)

A modern, light and very expensive groupset is probably the way forward, but I don't have the readies at the moment...so SS it will be for now.
I do miss having a sser and want one to improve my strength...I have been a bit lazy of late...put on weight etc and from experience a sser forces me to try harder.

Next year when life has calmed down a bit and I should have a bit more cash I will probably build it like you mention.

Now then...which colour dayglo tyres should I fit ;) :LOL:

only kidding of course

On-One are selling fully built Pompinos reduced from £599 to £399, absolute steal...

No need to go overboard with the groupset I don't think, Ultegra is cheap as chips. I'd shop around and get last year's ice grey SL kit, mmm.

Yup...I have been concentrating on age correct...Dura-Ace/Ultegra.

Build so far....White Industries Eno rear hub laced to black Mavic Open Pro
NOS Dura-Ace 7700 front hub, currently being laced to matching rim.
NOS Ultegra 6500 cranks
Jim Kish Ti seat-post
Black Thomson X2 stem
Race Face Cadence bars

Those are some beautiful welds...

I reckon [dons flame-proof suit] SSs have a place too - I tend to get a half-decent workout on mine when I can only fit in an hour after work before it gets dark.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article!

Stunning frame you've got there.

I too would say that SS/FG is useful for some things
Number 1. Commuting or town bikes are great as singlespeed for maintenance and simplicity, no doubt about that
Number 2. Training on, esp. fixed-gear for gaining souplesse (as if I know what that actually is hahaha...)
Number 3. Having a nice simple pretty bike for sunday afternoon rides to a countryside pub.

In fact if you think about it the other way around, the only reason for a bicycle to have gears is if you're a)racing, b)touring or c)it's very hilly where you live.

However, I did try (try being the operative word) to take my fixed Claud Butler (was supposed to be a Number 3. bike) over the Dales at the weekend and it was hell on earth (I was sent to hell for my stupidity and overconfidence). It's got a(n almost) period correct derailler now.

Back