1995 Sunn Radical 2 FULL BIKE PICS 05-09-2010

Dead Rats":2b1nidd5 said:
did you get your rear hub sorted? the one on page one looks like an STX-RC to me :?

Sort of. I have cleaned up my hub and it's fine, don't know if it's an STX RC or what.

I do think it's an XT one that I need ideally, though just waiting for one to come up as funds allow.

Dr.Robotnik":l8sb3b3l said:
Really bummed out. Got the forks back from their service and some of the seals are shot. They seemed fine and were pumped up and then just started leaking.

The top caps have a cylinder of rubber in them with a tiny hole for your pump needle this has opened up/perished over time and won't now hold air.

Also on one leg they leak out of the top of the stanchion.

I am gutted as I thought they were fixed.

Has anyone any idea how I could fix the seals? Maybe apply some mastik or....I don't know :(

The main problem is the fork leg seal as I have some spare though incorrect top caps.... :( :( :( :(

I had a set of obsys forks on an exact I raced and I used to go through those seals weekly- they are so badly designed, esp when the pump has a thick rounded needle that destroys the seals. In the end the shop couldnt get any more stock so the ones I had left, everytime I had to check the pressure, I had to unscrew the topcaps push the needle in while holding the rubber, and even then it sued to damage them...

If you can find a rockshocks top cap to replace them do it.
Help me please, suspension is my weakest area.

Last night I'd had a bad day and thought I'd put some of my old DH stuff on the Sunn to get it built up and out of the way and to see if having it built would make it easier to see what I have and what I need to work on.

I know the bike looks silly with the jacked up forks but I'll be reducing travel to suit the frame soon, I just wanted to show off some of the kit we rode DH in the 90's. Coming soon, old helmet, Dainese and race shirt pics.

Spec sheet;

Frame: Sunn Radical 2 - chromed steel front triangle and red rear end, alloy linkages. 4-5 inches of travel. 1994 build for 1995 race season. Owned since end of 1995 I think.

Shock: Sunn Chaos

Fork: Hanebrink - original 1996 vintage, 6 inches travel.

Headset: Diacompe - black and basic
Stem: Sunn Brute - nickel plated steel
Handlebar: Sunn NK Team Francois Gachet signature - red anodised alloy with black cross brace silver brace clamps.
Grips: Grip shift - black rubber

Brakes: Hope Hydraulics all round, early closed bath model. Black alloy.
Brake Pads: Hope
Brake Hoses: Hope
Brake Levers: Hope

Right hand shifter: Gripshift SRT800 X-Ray, original clear version.
Front Chain device: Mr Dirt DH - 1996 vintage
Rear Derailleur: Custom XT M737 with cage and barrell adjuster from vintage shimano Ultegra.
Rear derailleur tensioner: Bullet Bros.
Derailleur Cables: Hopefully vintage Gore Ride On with grey outer.
Cassette: Shimano XTR
Chain: Sachs
Chain tensioner: Daves Chain Device - Anodised red
Cranks: Middleburn RS3 with blue compact spider
Crank Bolts: Shimano steel - soon to be blue Zero Zippies
Outer Chainring: Middleburn - black 46T
Chainring bolts: Shimano steel
Bottom Bracket: Shimano flanged UN72 - soon to be custom Zero Components Hardcore BB
Pedals: DMR V8

REAR WHEEL
Rear hub skewer: Zero Components Slick Release - black anodised with Titanium skewer and hardware
Rim: Mavic 517 Ceramic
Hub: Hope Titanium silver with rear disc axle modification
Nipples: Sapim
Spokes: DT Swiss
Tyre: Hutchinson Team Comp Soft Compound Kevlar - New old Sunn Chippie team tires - 1994
Tube: Hutchinson DH green rubber. - 1995

Front WHEEL
Front hub axle: 25mm steel bolt through Hanebrink -1996
Rim: Sun Big Mammoth Fat -1996
Hub: Hanebrink black alloy -1996
Nipples: Sapim
Spokes: DT Swiss
Tyres: Hutchinson Team Comp Soft Compound Kevlar - New old Sunn Chippie team tires - 1994
Tube: Hutchinson DH green rubber. -1995

Saddle: Flite Titanium
Seatpost: Sunn Brute
Seatpost Binder: 1st edition Zero components Weenie bolt 1993 vintage, made by me when I worked there!

Chain stay cover: Hard Knox- black neoprene
Head set protector: Steep DH - black neoprene

Weight: DH so not applicable at least 30lbs though.

right.jpg

Leftside.jpg

reardisc.jpg

Leftcranks.jpg

Bars.jpg

Rightcranks.jpg

rearmech.jpg

korbenn":3nuz23cx said:
ah ah ah exellent
it's a good therapy for bad days ;)
what did you do about the orginal fork ?

what about the rear disk brake system
don't understand how does it work :shock:

Thank you.

The fork is being repaired, it has had all new seals fitted but the carbon leg is being repaired too as it has sprung a leak :shock:

The Hanebrinks are a temporary measure to get the bike up and out of the way. It was good therapy too as you sa, to see it all built up.

The rear disc system is the old Hope Hydraulic. The rear axle is 130mm (frame spacing is 135mm) and the calliper slots onto the end of the axle and bolts into the frame drop out. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

biocandy":2f9ql4pg said:
cool :cool: really something out of the ordinary.. i've got black sunn grps for grip shift if you want :)

Thank you. I will pm you about the Sunn grips as they sound quite cool.

Cheers

Back