the unofficial 'cool' 1980's Reynolds 531/501 bike thread

Not sure what to do with this: will get it rideable and decide.

I'm thinking that Ridgeback is a good call: here is a pic of one that the owner says is a 1986 Ridgeback 501.

Grips and saddle are a spit; and didn't Madison run the Ridgeback brand through Freewheel?

I had seen that pic before on my searches. Cable mounts etc seem very similar.

From what I have read it seems that some of the Ridgeback models were quite utilitarian with little finesse. This does not seem to be the case with the frame I have (and yours for that matter) as it is reasonabley light, has a nice ping to it, then there are the dropouts.....

Perhaps we should start a club :)

Dawes Ranger

Just picked this rather nice specimen up...

This bike blows my mind. For one thing, it's huge. The frame is so long, bars are so wide. It's beautifully built throughout with some really nice components (Suntour Mountech / SR - check out the SR seatpost with massive fore and aft adjustment). Riding it is a whole new experience for me - it's incredibly stable and feels like it would really inspire confidence off road. It's not exactly nimble, but then it's not heavy either and I've found it to be very manoeuvrable in my (not very big) back garden! On the road it handles and corners really nicely. For some reason this is a bike that you can lean right over when cornering.

I was planning on using this as a tourer, but fast it ain't, gearing and tyres are slowing it down at the moment. Maybe I'll treat it to some Paselas...

I believe it's original bar the saddle (supplied sprung plastic job was in tatters). Came to me with a rather groovy ESGE rack which I've removed for the time being.

Needs a bit of love but it's in pretty darn good original nick. I'm not at liberty to tell you what I paid for it - don't wanna upset anyone ;)

Attachments

• P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 3,672
I belive that at the time a blackburn rack and hite-rite was de riguer to allow you to hang off the back on steep descents. 5 years later we were all running 300mm of exposed seat post, arse up head down! :roll:

This is my FW Evans ATB photographed in 1984. I bought the bike from FW Evans Kingston shop and I got them to change many of the original components as I intended to use the bike for touring.

When I have some time I will post what I know about the first British Made mass produced mountain bikes. They first appeared in early 84 soon after Reynolds introduced their 501 ATB tube-set.

I also have some 1984 brochures that I can scan so that owners can see the original components etc.

Attachments

• fw_evans1984_187.jpg
    fw_evans1984_187.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 4,372
Back