BoTM Sept 2010 - Trilogy Special - Nominations please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three Sisters Blue.

First of all, don't mind the dirt. It's been damp here the past few days and all three of these have been getting plenty of riding time. There will be time for detailed cleaning when the season is done.

84 Vintage, 85 Classic, 86 Retro.

I like Ritcheys. I know there are several who frequent this site who have nicer ones than these, but if they won't represent, I will.

Vintage 84 TimberWolf. Done up in a mix of era correct parts: Suntour, Saturn, Bullmoose, DiaCompe, just before the reign of Shimano was to really take off.

Classic 85 TimberComp. First Gen. Suntour Rollercams front and rear. Converted with a WTB dirt drop setup. This thing screams to be ridden fast and far. Complete white label XT group on RM20's. Ground Controls. WTB front end. Campy brake levers and headset. My latest build and now favorite bike.

Retro 86 Aspen. Curious about dirt drop riding, I put this bike together last summer to see what it was all about (read above for conclusion. Absolutely love it). An eclectic mix of old; DX group, RM20's matched together with the new; On One, Cane Creek, Shimano bar ends, Armadillo's etc. With the addition of a rack, fenders, and slicks this bike now see's a lot of road riding. It spends most of it's time in my office at work, beckoning for an afternoon ride.

It can be a challenge justifying three bikes so much alike, but I think it was pulled off pretty well here. a different purpose for each one.

Cheers,
T

khs6928-1.jpg

khs6943-1.jpg

Tim,

those are some nice looking sisters...

but you're falling into the eurotrap of garage door pics ;)

you need to snap a pic of those beauties in front of Mt. Rainier.

cheers,

Steve

eastcoaststeve":kbig2a1j said:
Tim,

those are some nice looking sisters...

but you're falling into the eurotrap of garage door pics ;)

you need to snap a pic of those beauties in front of Mt. Rainier.

cheers,

Steve

Thanks Steve,
I thought about that and am pretty sure I have a pic of each of these rides with the mountain in the background, but I am limited to two pics for the contest and can only ride one bike at a time. Thus the quick photo's last night in front of the house..... The kids and the neighbors just have one more reason to think I am weird.

Not much of a bike here so this should be safe. Use your imagination:

Copy2ofIMG_0956.jpg

Live about 15 miles as a crow flies away from the closest park entrance. Unfortunately no bikes allowed off the designated roadways inside the park. Makes for some great road rides though, and there are plenty of hills surrounding the park in the National forest that are bike friendly (for you Euro's seeking to ride over here and looking at the big map for ideas: remember for the most part Wilderness Area, National Parks, State Parks are not MTB friendly except on designated roadways. National Forests are bike friendly but unfortunately not all trails)
This time of year the Mtn. will start hiding in the clouds. Then when it makes it's appearance again all white with fresh snow, everyone will state "the Mountain is out today"

Cheers,
T

Ductape":1kswrhgx said:
Three Sisters Blue.

First of all, don't mind the dirt. It's been damp here the past few days and all three of these have been getting plenty of riding time. There will be time for detailed cleaning when the season is done.

84 Vintage, 85 Classic, 86 Retro.

I like Ritcheys. I know there are several who frequent this site who have nicer ones than these, but if they won't represent, I will.

Vintage 84 TimberWolf. Done up in a mix of era correct parts: Suntour, Saturn, Bullmoose, DiaCompe, just before the reign of Shimano was to really take off.

Classic 85 TimberComp. First Gen. Suntour Rollercams front and rear. Converted with a WTB dirt drop setup. This thing screams to be ridden fast and far. Complete white label XT group on RM20's. Ground Controls. WTB front end. Campy brake levers and headset. My latest build and now favorite bike.

Retro 86 Aspen. Curious about dirt drop riding, I put this bike together last summer to see what it was all about (read above for conclusion. Absolutely love it). An eclectic mix of old; DX group, RM20's matched together with the new; On One, Cane Creek, Shimano bar ends, Armadillo's etc. With the addition of a rack, fenders, and slicks this bike now see's a lot of road riding. It spends most of it's time in my office at work, beckoning for an afternoon ride.

It can be a challenge justifying three bikes so much alike, but I think it was pulled off pretty well here. a different purpose for each one.

Cheers,
T

khs6928-1.jpg

khs6943-1.jpg

very cool, and great explanation :cool:

Ductape":1rdq6y7v said:
Thus the quick photo's last night in front of the house..... The kids and the neighbors just have one more reason to think I am weird.

Cheers,
T

Tim, that line made me lol...can't tell you how many times I've been setting up a bike shot in the front yard, had the neighbors walk by, and look at me like i'm the town idiot :LOL:

Steve

In my photo You could see - except bikes - how was changed concept of MTB in late 80/early 90:

1. 89 Scott Boulder (rouge)- long wheel base, long rear stays (438mm), flat angles (69,5/73,5), U-brake in lower stays, 1" steerer, 3x6 speed (thumbs)
more photos http://retromtb.pl/galerie/sprzet/boulder_89.htm

2. 90 Scott Boulder (quite rare white/green painting) still with U-brake, but in "normal position", steerer 1 1/8", angles - 70,5/73, rear stay 429mm, 3x7 speed (STI)
more photos http://retromtb.pl/galerie/sprzet/boulder_90.htm

3. 92 Scott Boulder (orange/blue) angles 70,3/73,3, rearstays 430mm, canti brakes F+R, 3x7 speed, all cables on top tube, low head tube (stiffness)
more photos http://retromtb.pl/galerie/sprzet/boulder_92.htm

konkurs1.jpg

konkurs2.jpg

konkurs3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back