Show us your late 90s DH bikes

Hey guys. New to this site and loving what I'm seeing!! Gonna have to get into this myself for sure!
So, as I would like to ride my museum pieces, wondering what the earliest DH bike that could handle being ridden like a modern bike was. Inspired by Ben Reid's '99 Giant ATX DH on the World Cup / freeride circ' in '04, thinking maybe a stock ATX DH from '98 or whenever they came out? Anyone heard of those breaking, or of anything even older that didn't? Particularly wary of older headtube junctions...

75191CRW_6472.jpg

432ben1.jpg

Ben seemed pretty confident with the frame, think the original Boxxers would be up to it too?

I can't believe Iv'e not contributed to this thread :shock:

Right up my street :cool:

Here's my ATX.

6 runs of Innerleithen on sunday. Would've been 8 but I ripped my rear brake hose :(

4593356916_6499127156_b.jpg

Hmmm, this isn't very DH compared to some of the others! :? (Still got a few bits to go as well!)

Attachments

• small 030920102421.jpg
    small 030920102421.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 4,535
tiboltrider":x56y9fr0 said:
Hmmm, this isn't very DH compared to some of the others! :? (Still got a few bits to go as well!)

Oohhhhhhhhh. Love it !

Is it an original Raleigh Freeride or have you had it sprayed to match the manitou's?

in fact i cant belive the raleigh was running tubeless wheels ten years ago! wounder were i can get a set of those rims?

jimmylad":2wac1sv8 said:
That raleigh dho is so very nice! Great find that one! Looks amazing like that! :cool:

Hi. Was that my one or the one in the catalogue piccy above? I want the one in the catalogue piccy! :cool:

bikemeister2000":2wac1sv8 said:
Oohhhhhhhhh. Love it !

Is it an original Raleigh Freeride or have you had it sprayed to match the manitou's?

The paint is original. The decals on the other side need replacing at the mo. I just bought the frame off here recently because it matched the fork that I had already! :roll:

tiboltrider":3v0yx2ew said:
jimmylad":3v0yx2ew said:
That raleigh dho is so very nice! Great find that one! Looks amazing like that! :cool:

Hi. Was that my one or the one in the catalogue piccy above? I want the one in the catalogue piccy! :cool:

I ment the catalogue one, however say that I do like your bike to, I had one of the slighlty later models of that, it was the rsp400 and was white with blue flames and blue xvert dc forks. Really do like them forks you have, one of them with a tad more travel would be perfect for the dho i'm building up at the mo'.

Back