2011 salsa mukluk - update 18/2/2011

Nice one Salty, did you bend the ear of the other guy importing one? Can I ask you how you got on with your half fat enquiries? Fitting a fat tyre to the Jones. Not so much the costs and parts but how it works etc. I'm not sure if its the best of both worlds or the worst :?

the guy said salsa wouldnt be too happy with him exporting when they dont do it themselves. Jeff jones said he wont be building fat bikes for awhile, hence i started looking at other complete bikes.

kaiser":v2b8mw37 said:
Nice one Salty, did you bend the ear of the other guy importing one? Can I ask you how you got on with your half fat enquiries? Fitting a fat tyre to the Jones. Not so much the costs and parts but how it works etc. I'm not sure if its the best of both worlds or the worst :?
the cheap way is a large marge rim, hub, surly tire and maybe a steel fork from salsa. Have a look on the mtbr forum in the fat bikes section.

I've been scouring the Fat bike section. I reckon I can use a Larry tyre, trials rims and a single speed disc hub. Will need to see the price of the Salsa fork though.

an old suspension fork does the trick i have read too, locked out nackered ones will take a 4'' tire.

Surly also makes a 100 spacing fork so you can use a regular 100 mm front hub on a trial rim. Trialtech makes a 47mm rim that's about 700g, about 1/2 weight of Large Marge. I don't notice any fork flexing when braking, I am not heavy though.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... bike+stand

kaiser":3ufpluh8 said:
I've been scouring the Fat bike section. I reckon I can use a Larry tyre, trials rims and a single speed disc hub. Will need to see the price of the Salsa fork though.
[/url]

Back