Olmo, can you tell me about this one?

drpaddle

Dirt Disciple
I just picked up this 58cm Olmo Nuovo Super Sprint for a very low price. Equipment appears to be Nuovo Record, with the exception of the front deraileur which I don't recognize. Anyone know what the front der is? Tubing is Columbus. Seat post and saddle are clearly not original.

Frame number is G 283. Can anyone venture a guess as to date of manufacture?

Note that it appears to have the original brake pads, and the chainrings show almost no wear. The chromed sections have light rust, but decals and paint are in good shape.

The Campi brakes are a bit different than the Nuovo Record I'm familiar with. The levers are perforated instead of solid, and the cable release on the brake caliper has a rounded metal handle instead of the flat metal I'm familiar with. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks, folks, for all your willing wisdom.

- Kevin in San Diego

PS: I also just picked up a 63cm Medici Pro Strada frameset, Columbus, with Nuovo Record cranks, brakes, pedals (black aluminum surround), and headset, with Cinelli bars and stem. The frame and equipment are, sadly, a bit rusty. (Medici was a short-lived follow-on to American Masi, with a good load of scandal and controversy associated with it.)

Attachments

• Olmo_whole_resized.jpg
    Olmo_whole_resized.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,955
  • Olmo_drivetrain_resized.jpg
    Olmo_drivetrain_resized.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 2,955
  • Olmo_forkcrown_resized.jpg
    Olmo_forkcrown_resized.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2,955
Hi Kevin,
That's a nice looking bike you've picked up there. It should scrub up nicely.
Those brakes look like Campag Victory to me but I'm stumped by the front mech. The pedals are Super Record with those black alloy cages - hopefully not the ones with titanium spindles.

Perhaps if you post up a close-up of the front mech we'll get a better idea of what it is. Or maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon.

Mark.

daccordimark":3ov4inbq said:
Those brakes look like Campag Victory to me but I'm stumped by the front mech.
It's a Galli - I don't know which model.

The pedals are Super Record with those black alloy cages - hopefully not the ones with titanium spindles.
Strictly speaking, all Super Record pedals have titanium axles. If they have steel axles and black anodized cages, they're Super Leggeri (assuming they're not one of the many copies from Gipiemme, Ofmega, etc.)

Jim's,spot on the Gali front derailer, i've been after one for ages..........
Very nice looking bike, should clean up nicely.
With it having two sets of water bottle bosses, i'd say it was late 80's....

Medici, a right, can of worms that, once read about 30 pages of e-mails on the subject.....

I stand corrected and should have known that as I had the Super Leggeri myself. Presumably they were Record Super Leggeri.

Mark.

one-eyed_jim":xigtq2tx said:
daccordimark":xigtq2tx said:
Those brakes look like Campag Victory to me but I'm stumped by the front mech.
It's a Galli - I don't know which model.

The pedals are Super Record with those black alloy cages - hopefully not the ones with titanium spindles.
Strictly speaking, all Super Record pedals have titanium axles. If they have steel axles and black anodized cages, they're Super Leggeri (assuming they're not one of the many copies from Gipiemme, Ofmega, etc.)

Back